Sometimes you don’t have to work that hard to make something great. This Moroccan raw carrot salad is an extremely simple recipe that can be thrown together in minutes. It’s healthy, beautiful and delicious. It makes a beautiful side dish with lamb, beef, chicken or fish. Or serve it as a luncheon salad, over lightly-dressed greens with crumbled Feta cheese sprinkled on top.
The extensive use of spices in Moroccan cooking is not generally for adding heat to a recipe, but rather to add a delicious complexity and depth of flavor. A fusion of influences from a rich cultural history, in particular from the Arabs and Moors, has made Morocco famous for it’s exciting colorful cuisine.
I hope you all had an enjoyable Thanksgiving – a break from work, some time with family, and lots of delicious food. The Thanksgiving feast always satisfies my appetite for the rich hearty comfort food of the season. The combination of sunlight deprivation and an evolutionary need to bulk up for the cold winter makes me want (need) to indulge in heavy, rich, warm and inviting dishes. I look forward to many comforting roasts and stews in the coming months, but I’m also happy to have this festive healthy salad to throw into the mix.
Here’s the recipe for Moroccan Raw Carrot Salad. If you make this I hope you’ll come back to leave a comment, a rating, and let me know what you think!
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and shredded in a food processor.
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley plus a few sprigs for garnishing
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh lemon juice (about 1½ lemons)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped (1 teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Parsley sprigs to garnish
- Put shredded carrots and chopped parsley in a large bowl
- Make dressing Whisk lemon juice and spices. Keep whisking while slowly adding the olive oil to emulsify the ingredients.
- Toss dressing with shredded carrots and parsley. Chill for an hour in the fridge and let flavors merge. Enjoy!
- Note: This salad can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several days.