Julia Child’s Sautéed Shredded Zucchini. A simple, 10 minute side dish recipe that goes well with everything and tastes great!
Julia Child’s genius runs the gamut from the most intricate recipes, like Boeuf Bourguignon to this simple two-ingredient toss in the pan. My oldest Julia Child cookbook The Way To Cook has a whole section devoted to shredded zucchini. I’ve tried a few of the recipes. They’re all delicious of course – it’s Julia.
But this shredded zucchini recipe is my favorite because it’s so simple; it brings out the natural goodness of fresh zucchini; and it proves that you don’t need to get complicated or fancy to make something great.
How to Make Julia Child’s Sautéed Shredded Zucchini Recipe
Wash and trim the ends off of four medium zucchinis. Grate them using the shredding blade of your food processor or the large holes on a box grater.
Toss the zucchini with some salt and let it steep for a couple of minutes and then squeeze it with a clean dish towel to extract most of the excess liquid. This gives the dish a crisp-tender consistency. I’ve tried this recipe without salting and draining. It’s still delicious but the consistency is softer and there’s some liquid in the pan at the end. If you go that route I suggest using a slotted spoon for serving, so you leave the excess liquid behind.
When you make this recipe, you’ll taste the most meltingly tender zucchini with its naturally sweet buttery flavor. It tastes like summer – fresh and delicious.
Sautéed shredded zucchini is delicious with just a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Or add fresh herbs – mint or basil – and grate in some good quality parmesan cheese.
Other Summery Recipes to Try:
If you’re a fan of summer squash, check out this roundup of 100 Summer Squash and Zucchini Recipes from Cooking Light
Here’s Julia Child’s sautéed shredded zucchini recipe. If you make this I hope you’ll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I’d love to know what you think!Print
Julia Child’s Sautéed Shredded Zucchini Recipe
A delicious, quick and easy zucchini side dish that goes with practically everything.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 4-5 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 pounds zucchini, washed, ends trimmed (4 medium zucchinis)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot (2–3 shallots, depending on size)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Optional Toppings:
- Freshly grated imported parmesan cheese (I recommend Parmigiana Reggiano)
- Fresh slivered basil leaves
- Fresh slivered mint leaves
- Grate the zucchini The quickest and easiest method is to use the grating attachment on your food processor. Or you can use the large holes in a box grater.
- Transfer the zucchini to colander. Toss with 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Leave for 2-3 minutes. Squeeze zucchini in a clean dish towel to draw out the excess liquid. You may have to do this in batches.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet until hot. Add shallots and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add zucchini. Cook, tossing often, for 3-5 minutes, until zucchini is just tender. Season with pepper. Serve hot.
- Stir in a tablespoon or two of fresh herbs, if you like.
- Top with a generous sprinkling of freshly grated parmesan, if you like.
Keywords: Zucchini Side dish, sautéed shredded zucchini