Chipotle Coleslaw: shredded cabbage salad with scallions, cilantro and a creamy, smoky, spicy chipotle dressing – delicious on sandwiches, sliders and with grilled meat, fish or chicken.
I used to think all coleslaw was that overdressed, soggy, pale chopped cabbage that you sometimes get at restaurants. You know what I’m talking about. It comes in a small shallow bowl. It’s flecked with carrot pieces and it’s swimming in mayonnaise. That kind of coleslaw gives coleslaw a bad name.
Really good coleslaw is something else entirely. This chipotle coleslaw isn’t something you’d even consider pushing to the side of your plate! It’s a fresh shredded cabbage salad mixed with chopped scallions and cilantro and then tossed in a delicious creamy, spicy, smoky dressing. So good!!
A mandoline slicer is a great tool for making slaw, but if you don’t have one, no worries. It isn’t hard to slice cabbage by hand. For this chipotle slaw, I used a sharp knife, and easily shaved the cabbages into thin shreds.
Serve chipotle coleslaw as side dish with grilled fish, steak or chicken. Or pile it onto a burger, slider or sandwich for an added layer of creamy, crunchy, spicy deliciousness. I’ve tried this chipotle coleslaw with pulled pork sandwiches and the combination is unbelievable – it’s like they are meant for each other! I’ve also just put the finishing touches on a recipe for Mexican spiced grilled chicken sliders with caramelized bbq onions and chipotle slaw. It’s out of sight with this slaw!
Here’s the recipe for chipotle coleslaw. As always, I’m hoping that if you make this, you’ll come back and rate the recipe and leave a comment to let me know how you liked it…Print
Crisp and creamy coleslaw with a smokey spicy kick. Perfect with pulled pork sandwiches, sliders, grilled meat, chicken or fish. Adds excitement to any sandwich.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 10-12 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt (or substitute sour cream)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 chipotle chili (from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce) sliced open, seeds removed, finely minced.
- 2 teaspoons adobo sauce from the can of chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 cups, packed, shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 small cabbage)
- 6 cups, packed, shredded red cabbage (about 1/2 small cabbage)
- 1 bunch scallions (6-7) ends trimmed and thinly sliced, crosswise
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves, finely chopped *reserve a few stems of cilantro for garnishing, if you like
- Make The Dressing: In a small bowl, whisk mayo, yogurt, vinegar, sugar, chili, adobo sauce, and salt. Set aside.
- Make The Slaw: In a large bowl, combine cabbages, scallions and cilantro. Toss with dressing. Chill slaw for at least 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with sprigs of cilantro and serve.
For some variety, try this light and delicious coleslaw recipe from Cooking Light: Tangy Mustard C0leslaw