Cuban Picadillo is a fragrant stew of ground beef simmered in tomato sauce with vinegar, onions, garlic, olives and smoked paprika. It's an easy one-pan recipe and one of the great Cuban dishes.
There's some sort of magical synergy between ground beef and tomatoes that results in some of the most irresistible dishes, whether it's chili con carne, meatloaf, sloppy joe or meaty pasta sauce. This Cuban Picadillo recipe is easy way to transform ground beef into something really special for dinner.
What is Picadillo?
- The word 'picadillo' translates as 'hash' or 'mince' from Spanish.
- Picadillo is Cuban stew that can be made with ground pork or beef, simmered in tomato sauce with vinegar, olives, raisins and spices.
- Cuban picadillo is typically served with rice and beans, but it is also delicious spooned over mashed potatoes or tossed with pasta.
- Picadillo is incredibly delicious Cuban comfort food and it's easy to cook!
HOW TO MAKE CUBAN PICADILLO
Cuban Picadillo is a perfect weeknight dinner recipe. It cooks in one pot and dinner can be on the table 35 minutes.
- Start by sautéing chopped onions, garlic and green pepper in olive oil for 8 minutes or so.
- When the vegetables have softened a bit add the ground beef and brown it in the pan for a few minutes, until it loses its pink color.
- Add canned tomatoes, vinegar, spices, olives and raisins to the pan with the beef and simmer gently for 15 minutes to allow all the flavors to meld.
- Dinner is ready.
What to serve with Cuban Picadillo
- It's traditional in Cuba to serve Picadillo with rice and black beans. Try it with these delicious Cuban Black beans.
- I love serving picadillo over mashed potatoes - especially these delicious olive oil and garlic mashed potatoes made with no butter or cream.
- Cuban Picadillo makes a great filling for tortillas, tacos, empanadas, or burritos.
- You can stuff poblano peppers with picadillo and make delicious chiles rellenos picadillo.
- A green salad is always nice with rich comfort food. I recommend this butter lettuce salad with citrus vinaigrette.
Here's the Cuban Picadillo recipe. As always, I'm hoping you will cook this and come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think.Print