This butter lettuce salad is simple but special. Delicate buttery bibb lettuce leaves dressed with a bright citrus honey vinaigrette.
Like most days, my son Paul came in the door from school yesterday and the first thing he said (after "hi mom") was "I'm starved!" I had just finished photographing this salad, and I offered him a taste. He reached right in and grabbed a leaf. "It tastes like spring." He said. What a great response! He gave me permission to quote him.
Paul is right. This salad is like spring. The delicate butter lettuce leaves remind me of tender spring blooms. The bright flavors of lemon and lime, mixed with sweet honey are evocative of buzzing bees, budding flowers, fresh fruit, and the wonderful newness and warmth of the season.
It's been a long snowy winter here in Boston and I'm thrilled to be seeing signs of spring, even if only in my salad bowl!
WHAT IS BUTTER LETTUCE?
- Butter lettuce, also called Boston, Bibb and Living lettuce, has tender silky leaves with a delicate fresh flavor.
- Usually sold with its roots still attached, butter lettuce lasts longer in the fridge than other lettuces because it's essentially still growing.
- Butter lettuce, with it's tender leaves, is wonderful in spring and summer salads.
WHAT MAKE THIS SALAD SO SPECIAL?
- The lettuce is tender, sweet and buttery
- The vinaigrette is bright and exciting with intense citrus flavors balanced by sweet honey.
- I love making this salad for company. Although it's very simple and just greens, it has that special something. I always gets compliments and requests for the recipe.
I haven't said anything about the tarragon yet - it's great! This anise flavored herb is the perfect punctuation mark for the bright and sweet flavors of citrus and honey.
This recipe is adapted from Avec Eric
You may also like:
- Raw Kale Salad with Honey Lemon and Parmesan
- Insalata Tricolore
- My Favorite Holiday Salad
- The Best Green Salad
Here's the recipe for Butter Lettuce Salad with Citrus Honey Vinaigrette. If you try this recipe I hope you'll come back to leave a rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think!Print