Crisp, cheesy Mexican Chicken Tostadas with fresh corn, zucchini and creamy avocado lime salsa. These are so easy and delicious!
Mexican tostadas are basically open-faced quesadillas with endless possibilities for toppings. These Mexican tostadas are a cinch to make – in about a half hour you can whip up a festive, nutritious dinner, with chicken and fresh summer vegetables, that the whole family will love.
Healthy Chicken Tostadas Recipe
Tostadas are often fried and heavy. Not so here. This recipe is adapted from Cooking Light, and uses oven-toasted tortillas “tostadas” that are topped with sautéed chicken, corn, zucchini and onions. Once the tostadas are loaded up with chicken and veggies, they go under the broiler for a couple of minutes, until everything is hot and the cheese is melted.
Top tostadas with a generous dollop of avocado salsa or guacamole. Sprinkle with cilantro, if you like.
Quick Chicken Tostadas or Super Quick Chicken Tostadas
- If you make these chicken tostadas from scratch, using raw chicken, fresh corn on the cob, and homemade salsa, you can have dinner on the table in under 30 minutes.
- If you make this with pre-cooked chicken, frozen corn and store-bought guacamole, you can pull off dinner in about 15 minutes.
- You’ll find instructions in the recipe for both the quick and the super quick versions.
If you’re thinking that I sound like Rachel Ray, focusing so much on time-saving tips, I have to admit that I’ve been somewhat obsessed with developing quick and easy recipes lately. You don’t always have to work hard in the kitchen to cook something great!
Here are two more quick and delicious Mexican dishes you might enjoy
Cheers to quick delicious dinners!
Here’s the Mexican Chicken Tostadas recipe. If you make this I hope you’ll come back and leave a star rating and comment. I’d love to know what you think.Print
Mexican Chicken Tostadas with Avocado Lime Salsa
Quick and delicious chicken tostadas with summer vegetables and two cheeses. Substitute corn tortillas for gluten-free.
Adapted from a Cooking Light recipe
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Lunch or Dinner
- Method: Sauté and broil
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 ripe avocado (or substitute store-bought guacamole)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice (omit if using store-bought guacamole)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon store-bought salsa verde, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (such as light olive oil or canola), divided
- 1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced thinly (1/3-inch) crosswise (Or substitute 2 1/2 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice (2 cups)
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 fresh ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob (or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas (or corn tortillas, for gluten-free)
- Cooking spray or additional oil to brush over tortillas
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
Preheat the broiler and set an oven rack in the center position.
- Make the Salsa: (Skip this step if using store-bought guacamole) To make the salsa, in a small bowl, mash the avocado with lime juice (2 teaspoons), salsa verde (1 tablespoons) and a pinch of salt.
- Cook Chicken and Veggie Filling: (If using pre-cooked chicken, skip this step and follow directions in NOTES) Mix cumin (1 teaspoon), salt (1/2 teaspoon) and chili powder (1/4 teaspoon) in a small bowl. Heat oil (1 tablespoon) in a large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and sprinkle spice mix evenly over it. Cook, tossing frequently for 2 minutes, until almost cooked through. Add corn, zucchini and onion to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, tossing frequently so everything cooks evenly. Add 1/2 cup of salsa verde and simmer for a minute or so, until the chicken is cooked through. Remove pan from heat. Add feta and 4 tablespoons of cilantro. Toss to combine.
- Crisp The Tortillas in the Broiler: Work with two tortillas at a time. Spray or brush tortillas lightly with oil on both sides and set them onto a baking sheet. Broil for two minutes, or until they get some brown spots. (Keep watch to prevent burning). Repeat with the two remaining tortillas.
- Heat in the oven: Set 2 toasted tortillas on a baking sheet and scoop 1/4 of the chicken vegetable mixture onto each tortilla. Sprinkle each with 2 tablespoons of cheese. Broil in the middle of the oven for 2 – 3 minutes, until the filling is heated through and the cheese is melted. (Watch carefully to prevent burning). Repeat with the remaining 2 tortillas.
- Serve: Carefully transfer tostadas to 4 plates, using a spatula or even two spatulas. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Add a generous dollop of avocado salsa to each. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
How to make this with pre-cooked chicken: Skip step #2. Mix cumin (1 teaspoon), salt (1/2 teaspoon) and chili powder (1/4 teaspoon) in a small bowl. Heat the oil (1 tablespoon) in a large skillet. Add the corn, zucchini and onions to the pan. Sprinkle the spices over the veggies. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the cubed chicken (2 1/2 cups) and heat, tossing, for 30 seconds. Add the salsa (1/2 cup). Remove pan from heat. Add feta and 4 tablespoons of cilantro. Toss to combine. Continue with step 3.
Keywords: easy chicken tostadas with vegetables and avocado lime salsa