These Easy Chicken Tostadas are perfect for a weeknight dinner. Crisp, oven toasted tortillas are loaded up with spicy chicken, healthy vegetables, two cheeses and a big dollop of creamy tangy avocado lime salsa. It will take you about a half hour to whip up this festive, nutritious Mexican meal that the whole family will love.
Everyone in my house gets excited when Mexican food is on the menu. Why wouldn't they?! Mexican food is vibrant, spicy, flavorful, fun... and let's not forget the melted cheese!
I have a small treasured collection of super easy Mexican recipes that are always a big hit with the family, like this Tex-Mex Tortilla Casserole, these blackened fish tacos, my Easy Huevos Rancheros, Two Ingredient Carnitas, and now, added to the repertoire, this easy chicken tostadas recipe.
Light and healthy Chicken Tostadas
Tostadas are often fried and heavy. Not so here. This recipe, adapted from Cooking Light, uses oven-toasted tortillas "tostadas" that are topped with a delicious nutritious mix of sautéed chicken, corn, zucchini and onions.
If fresh summer corn is available, I highly recommend using it for these tostadas. Any recipe will benefit from sweet, juicy fresh corn. But also don't hesitate to make these with frozen corn. You'll still get excellent results.
Here's What you need to make these chicken tostadas
This is an overview. You'll find exact amounts listed in the recipe card below.
How to make these easy chicken tostadas
Here's an overview of how to make this dish. For full printable directions see the recipe card below.
- Start by making the avocado lime salsa, which is simply a mashed avocado mixed with tomatillo salsa, lime juice and salt. Set the salsa aside while you make the tostadas.
- Next, get all of your tostada ingredients sliced and diced and the spices measured out. If you have everything ready before you start cooking, this recipe comes together fast.
- After you've sautéed the chicken with the spices for 2 minutes, add the chopped veggies and cook everything for another 2 minutes.
- Add the salsa verde and simmer for 2 more minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Toast the flour tortillas in the oven for a couple of minutes, until they're crisp with some brown spots.
- Pile the filling and shredded cheese on top of the toasted tortillas and pop them back into the hot oven until the cheese is melted.
- Top the tostadas with avocado lime salsa and chopped cilantro, and serve immediately.
Tostadas are extremely adaptable. The only requirement is a toasted tortilla on the bottom and some goodies on top. Here are a few common variations for this recipe.
- Corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas - if you prefer corn tortillas, just make sure you toast them in a hot dry cast iron skillet or in the microwave. The oven will dry out corn tortillas and make them hard.
- Use Pre Cooked chicken - If you have grilled, roasted, rotisserie or poached chicken in the house, by all means use it for this recipe. You'll need about 2 ½ cups of cooked chicken cut into bite-sized pieces. See the recipe notes below for more details on how to make this with pre-cooked chicken.
- Guacamole instead of salsa - The avocado-lime salsa in this recipe is delicious but guacamole works well here too!
- Swap out the Cheeses - Queso fresco and Cotija are also delicious in these tostadas.
- White onions instead of red - Really any onions are great in this dish - including green onions.
I love having a stash of delicious quick and easy recipes. You don't always have to work hard in the kitchen to cook something great.
Here's the Easy Chicken Tostadas recipe. If you try this recipe, I hope you'll come back and leave a star rating and comment. I'd love to know what you think!Print