Quick and delicious chicken tostadas with summer vegetables and two cheeses. Substitute corn tortillas for gluten-free.
Adapted from a Cooking Light recipe
Equipment: a rimmed baking sheet and a large skillet
For the avocado lime salsa
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon store-bought salsa verde. (plus 1/2 cup more for cooking the chicken and veggies)
- Kosher salt
For The Tostadas:
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (such as light olive oil or canola), divided
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced or cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice (1 1/2 - 2 cups)
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and diced
- 2 fresh ears of corn, kernels cut off the cob (or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, defrosted)
- 1/2 cup store-bought salsa verde
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 4 8-inch flour tortillas (or corn tortillas, for gluten-free)
- Cooking spray or additional oil to brush over tortillas
- 4 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
Preheat the broiler to high and set an oven rack in the center position.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocado with the lime juice, the tablespoon of salsa verde and a pinch of salt. Set the salsa aside.
- Mix the cumin, salt and chili powder in a small bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the chicken to the pan in a single layer and sprinkle spice mix evenly over it. Cook, tossing frequently for 2 minutes. Add zucchini, onion and corn and cook, tossing frequently for 2 minutes more. Add the remaining 1/2 cup of salsa verde and simmer for a minute or two, stirring often, until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid almost evaporates. Remove pan from heat. Stir in the feta and 4 tablespoons of the cilantro.
- Brush the tortillas lightly, on both sides, with the remaining tablespoon of oil. Set 2 of them on a baking sheet and broil for two minutes, or until they get some brown spots. (Keep watch to prevent burning). Repeat with the two remaining tortillas. Leave the oven on broil.
- Set 2 toasted tortillas on the baking sheet and top each tortilla with 1/4 of the chicken vegetable mixture and 2 tablespoons of the shredded cheese. Broil 2 - 3 minutes, until the filling is heated through and the cheese is melted. (Watch carefully to prevent burning). Repeat with the remaining 2 tortillas.
- Carefully transfer tostadas to 4 plates, using a spatula or even two spatulas. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro. Top with a generous dollop of avocado-lime salsa. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
How to make this with pre-cooked chicken: Use 2 1/2 cups cubed or shredded poached chicken, rotisserie chicken or grilled chicken. Add the chicken to the skillet after you sauté the veggies in step #2; sprinkle the spices on top and toss for a minute or so, then add the salsa, cheeses and cilantro.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Lunch or Dinner
- Method: Sauté and broil
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: easy chicken tostadas with vegetables and avocado lime salsa