This curried butternut squash soup recipe, with tart green apples, apple cider and sweet onions, is the ultimate fall comfort food. Perfect for chilly weather meals when you want something healthy and comforting, or make a big batch ahead of time for holiday entertaining.
This soup is my favorite way to start Thanksgiving dinner. The recipe is adapted from The Silver Palate Cookbook and it is the best butternut squash soup I've ever tasted, a silky puree with the perfect balance of sweet, tart, and spicy.
I usually make a double or triple batch a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving and freeze it. On the day of, I reheat it, adjust the seasonings, and top each bowl with some freshly grated sour apple or a dollop of sour cream.
This is an easy soup to make. The hardest part is peeling and cutting the squash. But you can skip that step if you find pre-peeled or even pre-cubed squash at the market.
HOW TO MAKE CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Here's how: Melt chopped onions in butter. Add curry powder, broth, squash and apples. Simmer for 25 minutes, puree, stir in apple cider, and enjoy!
- Cook the onions (lots of onions) in butter, covered, for about 18 minutes, until they're soft, sweet and translucent. (the house will smell amazing!)
- Add the curry powder and cook for a minute, stirring, to toast the curry powder. (The house will smell even better!).
- Add broth, cubed squash and diced apples.
- Cover and simmer for 25 minutes
- Puree with an immersion blender or in batches in your food processor or blender.
- Stir in apple cider and season with salt and pepper.
More Butternut Squash Recipes to Enjoy
- Curried Butternut Squash, Chicken and Lentil Stew
- Garlicky Roasted Butternut Squash
- Jamaican Curried Chicken Stew with Rum and Mango
- Roasted Squash Stuffed with Roasted Vegetables
- Blue Cheese and Sage Roasted Butternut Squash Appetizer
Serve curried butternut squash soup piping hot with a garnish of tangy, freshly grated green apple. Or see below for other topping suggestions.
This elegant seasonal soup is perfect for Thanksgiving but I also love it for a fall or mid-winter soup-and-salad dinner.
Suggested toppings for Butternut Squash Soup
There are lots of possibilities!
- Grated green apples with the skin on. Grate just before serving. Toss immediately with two teaspoons of lemon or lime juice to prevent browning. For more info, read this great article from Serious Eats on how to prevent cut apples from turning brown.
- Coconut Milk. Put it in squeeze bottle so you can make a nice swirl in each bowl.
- Sour Cream. A dollop in the center of each bowl would be delicious.
- Toasted cumin seeds. A pinch of cumin seeds to top each bowl.
- Toasted Sunflower Seeds
- Do you have a favorite topping? If so, I'd love to hear about it!
Here's the Curried Butternut Squash Soup Recipe. If you make this, I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think.Print