This Healthy Pumpkin Bread is moist and delicious without white flour, sugar, or added oil. Almond flour, made from ground blanched almonds, is the key ingredient that gives this bread its tender crumb, rich flavor and healthy nutritional profile.
A slice of this pumpkin bread is just the thing to satisfy your seasonal craving for all things spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. And there’s no guilt if you want a second slice. It’s low in calories, low in sugar and packed with wholesome ingredients: ground almonds, pure pumpkin, eggs, maple syrup and aromatic fall spices.
When I did some pumpkin bread research online I found that most pumpkin bread recipes out there are packed with sugar, white flour and vegetable oil. No doubt they’re delicious in their own right but I was after something different with this recipe – less of a dessert – more of something you could enjoy for a healthy breakfast or energizing afternoon snack.
There’s a touch of maple sweetness in this recipe but I love the fact that sweetness isn’t the dominant flavor here. This healthy pumpkin bread is just sweet enough to allow the wonderful fall flavors of cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg and, of course pumpkin, shine through.
HOW TO MAKE THIS HEALTHY PUMKIN BREAD:
(scroll down for the printable recipe)
First mix up the wet ingredients: canned pure pumpkin, eggs, maple syrup and vanilla.
In a separate bowl combine the dry ingredients: almond flour (ground blanched almonds), salt, baking soda and spices.
Add the dry mix to the bowl with the wet ingredients.
Then fold in nuts and dried fruit.
I included toasted pecans and dried cranberries here. I also tried it with dried sour cherries (pictured below). You can easily swap in whatever mix-ins you fancy: your favorite nuts, seeds, dried fruit or even chocolate chips, if you want to be a little naughtier.
Line your loaf pan with parchment paper. I learned this trick from Heidi Swanson. Leave an overhang on either side so you have ‘handles’ to pull your healthy pumpkin bread out of the pan with ease.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and bake at 350ºF for 45 minutes.
Cool, slice and enjoy!
So if you’re wondering what to cook with that can of pumpkin in your cupboard, give this easy healthy pumpkin bread recipe a try.
It’s great to have recipes like this that are tasty and satisfying and fuel you with nutritious ingredients. And if you’re looking for another delicious and nutritious grab-and-go breakfast or afternoon pick-me-up, don’t miss out on this one: No-Bake Oatmeal Peanut Butter Energy Bites.
Here’s the recipe for Healthy Pumpkin Bread with Almond Flour. If you try this recipe I hope you’ll come back to leave a rating and comment. I’d love to know what you think.
Healthy Pumpkin Bread with Almond Flour
Deliciously spiced, moist pumpkin bread made with almond flour, pure pumpkin, eggs, maple syrup and spices.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: bread
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ½ cups almond flour (from ground blanched almonds)
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (freshly ground is best)
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup pure canned pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup pecans, toasted and roughly chopped*
- ¼ cup dried cranberries or cherries
- Place a rack in the center of your oven. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil an 8×4-inch loaf pan. Line the pan with sheet of parchment paper that’s as wide as the length of the pan and long enough to overhang the sides of the pan by an inch or so. (see photos in post) You’ll use the paper to lift the bread out of the pan. Lightly oil the paper or spray with cooking spray.
- Mix together the dry ingredients: almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cardamom in a medium bowl. In a separate larger bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the pumpkin, maple syrup and vanilla and whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined. Gently fold in nuts and cranberries.
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan, set on a wire rack for 20 minutes or so. Run a knife around the inside edge of the pan. Gently lift out the bread with the overhanging parchment ‘handles.’ When bread has fully cooled, slice and enjoy!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or wrap tightly in plastic and freeze for up to a month.
* Toast pecans in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until lightly colored. Watch carefully and reduce the heat if they start to brown too quickly.
Keywords: Healthy, Gluten-free, Pumpkin, Bread