TEX-MEX TORTILLA CASSEROLE

map of North America and facts about Tex-mex cookingMexican tortilla casseroleThis Tex-Mex tortilla casserole is a delicious, quick and easy one-pot dinner.  I have to share it with you because everyone needs a recipe like this in their repertoire.

Mexican lasagna ingredientsCooking has been an enjoyable creative outlet for as long as I can remember. Elaborate recipes with lots of ingredients are generally a fun adventure for me, with the promise of something great at the end.  I hadn’t ever thought about the concept of quick and easy meals before I had kids.  In fact, when my first son was born, I had every intention of making elaborate gourmet dinners every night. I can laugh now, looking back at myself singing and dancing around the kitchen with the baby strapped to my back, while trying to chop and sauté – Raffi songs blasting on the stereo. It was stressful and exhausting, and sometimes I would end up with an unhappy baby and a half-cooked dinner.

Line the pan with corn tortillas for Mexican lasagnaThis Tex-Mex tortilla casserole was my first ever “quick, easy one-pot wonder” recipe. It was given to me 21 years ago by my neighbor Nava Atlas, who is a vegetarian cookbook author. It’s a perfect weeknight dinner that can be on the table in half an hour, start to finish.  Move over Rachel Ray!

Mexican lasagna recipe

how to make Mexican lasagna

Mexican lasagneI’ve learned over the years that taking the easy way out doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a good tasty meal.

TEX-MEX TORTILLA CASSEROLE
Recipe type: Quick and easy weeknight dinner
Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Author:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6
Quick, easy, healthy and delicious vegetarian main course
Ingredients
  • 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 14-ounce can stewed or diced tomatoes
  • 1 4-ounce can chopped mild green chilies
  • 2 cups frozen corn kernels, defrosted (10-ounce bag)
  • I bunch scallions, chopped (set aside a handful to sprinkle on top)
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon dried oregano
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 12 corn tortillas
  • 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Cheddar cheese
  • Toppings: Salsa, Sour cream or yogurt, scallions
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400º F. Combine beans, tomatoes, chilies, corn, scallions, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt in a large bowl.
  2. Lightly oil a 2-3 quart casserole dish. Line the bottom with 6 tortillas, allowing them to overlap in the middle. You can cut off some of the round edges so the tortillas fit against the edge of your casserole dish. Scoop on half the bean mixture. Sprinkle half the cheese on top. Add another layer of tortillas; the rest of the bean mixture. The rest of the cheese.
  3. Bake in the center of the oven for 12-15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling.
  4. Cut into squares and serve with your favorite salsa and sour cream or yogurt to spoon on top.

Comments

1. Alina says

Lisa,
    I use to have to engage Brandon to cook with me or else I wouldn’t get anything done without his acting out.
    Our favorite was homemade chicken nuggets.
    I make a version of this tex mex with more layers, but yours is definitely simple and worth trying.

2. Barbara Joseph says

Perfect timing – Tonight I was going to making my old reliable black beans and rice enchiladas but this will be much more interesting! Thanks for sharing…

• Lisa Goldfinger says

Hi Tina. I’ve frozen leftovers with good success. Best if you transfer it to an airtight container. Lisa

3. Laura P. says

Hi Lisa,
    Thank you for sharing this recipe! My sister asked me to make a vegetarian entree for her son’s high school graduation party this weekend. Originally she asked for a half pan, but once I showed her your recipe she said, “we’re going to need a full pan of that!”. Within minutes she came to me and said it was gone and her guests were literally scraping the pan, even though she also had over 25 lbs of Utica Riggies (a regional dish) and 42 lbs of amazing slow roasted pulled pork with lots of sides. I made it exactly as you described, only multiplied the ingredients to feed a crowd. Ran to the market the next day to buy ingredients for a family get-together and again it was gone in minutes. Thanks for an easy and delicious dish for a crowd!

• Lisa Goldfinger says

Thanks Laura! I’m so glad your guest enjoyed it. I’ve never heard of Utica Riggies. Is that a recipe I should try? Lisa

• Laura P. says

Hi Lisa,
        Yes! Try the Utica Riggies…I had never heard of them either until I visited my sister in upstate NY. It is a chicken and rigatoni dish with spices and a vodka-like sauce, minus the vodka! If you google it you will see that there are cook-off competitions and restaurants have their own recipes. Let us know if you try the Riggies!

• Laura P. says

Ellen, I think if you use flour tortillas, you might want to put a layer of cheese on top of the tortillas before adding the bean mixture…maybe that would prevent the flour tortillas from getting too soggy? The corn tortillas are a little more sturdy! Let us know how it turns out. This is one of my favorite recipes!

• says

Hi Elen, Interesting question. I’ve never tried to use flour tortillas. Laura is right – the flour tortillas might get soggy, whereas the corn tortillas just get soft and are a perfect consistency for this dish. I’m thinking the casserole might work really well with lasagna noodles, if you’re not concerned with it being gluten free. It sort of is like a lasagna, with the layers and the cheese. I bet that would be really good! If you try it with flour tortillas or lasagna noodles, I’d love to know the results!

4. Elaine says

This was such a hit in my house. I was fortunate enough to find local early fresh corn at my farm market so used kernels from two ears of corn that had been lightly grilled – awesome! I also assembled this the night before, kept in the refrigerator until i got home from work and then popped into the oven. Came out perfect! Great make ahead dish. I think I would increase the seasonings next time though just to give it more oomph. Super delicious recipe – thanks so much!

Trackbacks