Quick, easy, healthy and delicious vegetarian casserole. Great for weeknight dinner.
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-ounce can stewed or diced tomatoes
- 1 4-ounce can chopped mild green chilies
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels, defrosted (10-ounce bag)
- I bunch scallions, chopped (set aside a handful to sprinkle on top)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese or Cheddar cheese
- Toppings: Salsa, Sour cream or yogurt, scallions
Preheat oven to 400º F and set an oven rack in the center position.
- Combine beans, tomatoes, chilies, corn, scallions, chili powder, cumin, oregano and salt in a large bowl.
- Lightly oil a 2-3 quart casserole dish. Line the bottom with 6 tortillas, allowing them to overlap in the middle. trim the round edges so they fit squarely against the edge of the casserole. Scoop on half the bean mixture. Sprinkle half the cheese on top. Add another layer of tortillas; the rest of the bean mixture. The rest of the cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, or until the casserole is heated through and the cheese is bubbling.
- Cut into squares and serve with your favorite salsa and sour cream or yogurt to spoon on top.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Quick and easy weeknight dinner
- Method: baked
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: layered casserole with black beans, vegetables and cheese