HOW TO MAKE THAI GREEN CURRY CHICKEN
- For this recipe everything is cooked in one pan. I use my cast iron skillet.
- Sliced boneless chicken breasts are sautéed with onions, garlic and ginger and then simmered with coconut milk, basil, cilantro, ginger and a good amount of flavor-packed Thai green curry paste.
- Fresh snow peas are added towards the end and cooked for a short time, so they are bright green and crisp
- Once you have everything chopped and cans opened, it takes only 15 minutes to cook this curry dish
- Serve Thai green curry chicken with steamed white rice on the side to soak up all the fragrant curry sauce.
THAI GREEN CURRY PASTE
If you’re a fan of Thai food, here are a few more delicious Thai recipes you might enjoy:
Thai Green Curry Chicken with Snow Peas
Chicken and snow peas in a fragrant spicy Thai curry sauce.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4-5 1x
- Category: Lunch or Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Thai
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root (from a 2-inch piece)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup low salt chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons store-bought Thai Green Curry Paste*
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
- 1–2 red chili peppers, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped – I love using red fresno peppers. Thai red chilies or red jalapeño peppers are also great choices.
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 8 ounces snow peas (about 2 1/2 cups), stringed
- 6 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- Optional Garnish:
- Additional chili peppers, sliced crosswise
- A sprinkle of slivered basil
- Suggested Accompaniment
- Cooked white rice
- *Note: See post for green curry paste recommendations. Also note that store-bought curry pastes differ dramatically in heat, so add 1 tablespoon at a time and test for your desired amount of heat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir-fry onion and ginger for two minutes or so, until fragrant. Add sliced chicken and stir fry for 3-4 minutes until it all loses its pink color. Transfer chicken and onions to a bowl and set aside.
- Add coconut milk, chicken broth and curry paste to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Lower to a gentle simmer and cook for 3 minutes or so, to thicken the sauce. Stir in sugar, fish sauce, basil, cilantro and chopped chili peppers. Return chicken to skillet and cook, stirring, for a minute. Add snow peas and simmer gently for 3-4 minutes longer, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat. Stir in scallions. Season with a little salt, to taste.
- Serve with rice and garnish with chili peppers and basil, if you like.
Keywords: coconut curry chicken and snow peas, Thai green chicken curry with snowpeas
If you enjoy recipes like this, here’s another delicious version of Green Curry Chicken from Cooking Light. It’s served in bowls with bok choy and rice noodles, and it comes together in less than 30 minutes.