Chicken and snow peas in a fragrant spicy Thai curry sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root (from a 2-inch piece)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup low salt chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons store-bought Thai Green Curry Paste*
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Thai fish sauce
- 1-2 red chili peppers, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped - I love using red fresno peppers. Thai red chilies or red jalapeño peppers are also great choices.
- 1/3 cup packed fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- 8 ounces snow peas (about 2 1/2 cups), stringed
- 6 green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced crosswise
- Optional Garnish:
- Additional chili peppers, sliced crosswise
- A sprinkle of slivered basil
- Suggested Accompaniment
- Cooked white rice
- *Note: See post for green curry paste recommendations. Also note that store-bought curry pastes differ dramatically in heat, so add 1 tablespoon at a time and test for your desired amount of heat.
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Stir-fry onion and ginger for two minutes or so, until fragrant. Add sliced chicken and stir fry for 3-4 minutes until it all loses its pink color. Transfer chicken and onions to a bowl and set aside.
- Add coconut milk, chicken broth and curry paste to the skillet. Bring to a boil. Lower to a gentle simmer and cook for 3 minutes or so, to thicken the sauce. Stir in sugar, fish sauce, basil, cilantro and chopped chili peppers. Return chicken to skillet and cook, stirring, for a minute. Add snow peas and simmer gently for 3-4 minutes longer, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat. Stir in scallions. Season with a little salt, to taste.
- Serve with rice and garnish with chili peppers and basil, if you like.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Lunch or Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: coconut curry chicken and snow peas, Thai green chicken curry with snowpeas