Inspired by Houston/Hillstone's recipe, this Thai Steak Salad with rice noodles, avocados, mango, fresh herbs and spicy sesame dressing, is really something special!
If you've ever been to Hillstone Restaurant, which used to be called 'Houston's,' maybe you've tried their Thai steak and noodle salad? If so, I'm guessing you were as stunned as I was by how amazing it is. Rarely, if ever, does a salad bowl me over as this one did. After years of enjoying this scrumptious salad only on the few occasions that we dined out at Hillstone, I decided I needed the recipe.
On several occasion I tried to coax the waiters to tell me what was in the dressing. They would just smile. It was clear from their reaction that I was not the first to ask and that they were not at liberty to divulge the secret formula. That left me even more determined to figure out how to recreate this incredible salad at home.
Homemade Hillstone/Houston Thai Steak and Noodle Salad!
I took photos and tasting notes. Finally, after lots of experimenting in the kitchen, I nailed it! I recreated that beautiful Thai salad with tender marinated beef, rice noodles, crunchy cabbage, fragrant herbs, mangos, scallions, avocados, tomatoes and peanuts and spicy Asian dressing. Happiness in every bite!
Thai food prides itself on a harmony of complex flavors and often combines strong, subtle, spicy, savory, sweet and sour in a single dish. This salad is all about that magical combination of flavors.
Looking for other delicious main course salads? Here are are few more of my favorites:
- Chopped Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
- Fusion Salmon Nicoise Salad
- Greek Spinach Salad with Turkey Tips
- Classic Salad Nicoise
Here's the Thai Steak and Noodle Salad recipe. If you try this recipe I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think!Print
Thai Steak and Noodle Salad
A satisfying main course salad with beef, noodles, avocados, mango and delicious Thai flavors.
- Prep Time: 50 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 5-6 1x
- Category: Salad, lunch, dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Thai
- 1 ½ pounds of filet mignon or another good quality steak
For The Marinade
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced or press in a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
For The Vinaigrette
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha chili sauce
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 4 tablespoons neutral flavored oil such as Canola
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
For The Salad
- 4 ounces Chinese egg noodles
- 4-5 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage (½ a cabbage)
- 2 generous handfuls of baby arugula
- ½ cup packed thai basil leaves or regular basil leaves, slivered or torn
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 ripe mango, pitted and sliced
- ½ cup chopped scallions, white part plus 2 inches of green (1 bunch)
- 2 avocados, cut into bite sized piece (Cut the avocado at the last minute to avoid discoloration)
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- Marinate the steak: In a bowl, whisk soy sauce (2 tablespoons), sesame oil (2 teaspoons), ginger (1 tablespoon), garlic (1 clove), and sugar (1 teaspoon). Add the steak and turn to coat. Marinate for 15-30 minutes at room temperature.
- Make the Vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine lime juice (⅓ cup), orange juice (4 tablespoons), fish sauce (2 tablespoons), sugar (2 tablespoons), Sriracha (2 teaspoons) and garlic (3 cloves). Pour oils in slowly, while whisking constantly.
- Cook the noodles: Cook per package instructions. Drain and toss with 2 teaspoons of the vinaigrette. Set them aside to cool.
- Cook The Steak: Sear the steak in a hot skillet (preferably cast iron) with a tiny bit of oil for 2-3 minutes per side, depending on how rare you like it. Slice it thinly and toss with 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette.
- Assemble the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl: cabbage, arugula, basil, cilantro, mint, tomatoes, mango, scallions and avocados. Add the noodles and remaining vinaigrette to the bowl. Toss to combine. Add steak. Toss again. Divide the salad among 5 plates. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Enjoy!
Prep Ahead Strategies:
- The vinaigrette can be made up to 24 hours ahead. Keep it in an airtight container in the fridge and bring to room temperature before using.
- The beef can be marinated, cooked and stored in the fridge overnight. Let it come to room temperature before using. Slice it, toss it with 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette and add it to the salad.
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.
Keywords: steak and noodle salad, Thai salad with steak and noodles, Hillstone/Houston's Thai Steak and Noodle Salad
[This post first appeared on Panning The Globe in February 2013. It was updated in May 2019 with edits to the written post, time-saving tips for prepping ahead, and added nutritional information]