Here’s one of my all time Favorite Veggie Side Dishes. Shredded Brussels Sprouts are pan-browned for maximum caramelization. Then loads of scrumptious crispy fried shallots are piled on top. It’s an incredible combo of flavors. I could eat the whole platter by myself, in one sitting!
This shredded Brussels sprouts recipe is adapted from a Cooking Light magazine recipe I discovered way back when, and it has become one of my most treasured special occasion recipes. It’s one of the best veggie side dishes I know – always makes everyone at the table happy.
HOW TO MAKE SHREDDED BRUSSELS SPROUTS WITH CRISPY FRIED SHALLOTS
There are only two main ingredients in this recipe – Brussels sprouts and shallots. Once you get the veggies sliced, the recipe goes very quickly.
- Slice the veggies: Use a sharp knife to cut the shallots crosswise into thin slices. To prepare the Brussels, cut off their tough ends and slice them thinly, making two or three cuts per sprout, depending on their size.
- Fry the shallots: Fry them slowly in oil, stirring occasionally, until they’re caramelized and crispy brown, about ten minutes. Drain them on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Sauté the Brussels Sprouts: Heat up cooking oil in a skillet – preferably cast iron. Cook the sprouts over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until they are all golden brown, about 10 minutes. Browning Brussels sprouts this way caramelizes them and brings out their natural nuttiness.
To serve, transfer the shredded Brussels sprouts to a platter and pile those beautiful crispy fried shallots on top. Decorate with lemon slices, if you like.
The crispy fried shallots are like decadent icing on a healthy cake!
I have a deep love for Brussels sprouts and a growing collection of Brussels sprouts recipe on Panning The Globe.
OTHER DELICIOUS BRUSSELS SPROUTS RECIPES
- Brussels Sprouts from the UK
- Skillet Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Sherry .
- Ottolenghi’s Sweet and Spicy Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
If you’re a fan of amazing vegetable recipes, follow my Pinterest board – Exceptional Vegetables – where you can enjoy an ever-growing collection of stellar veggie recipes.
Here’s the recipe for pan-browned Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Crispy Fried Shallots. If you try this recipe I hope you’ll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I’d love to know what you think!Print
Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Crispy Fried Shallots
A fantastic way to make Brussels Sprouts – a great side dish for a special dinner.
Adapted from Cooking Light
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: American
- 2 ½ pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 8 cups sliced)
- 3–5 large shallots, peeled, thinly sliced crosswise, separated into rings (2 cups of shallot rings)
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil for frying the shallots and sprouts (don’t worry – most of the oil won’t make it into the final dish)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Fry the Shallots: Line a plate with a double layer of paper towels. Heat ½ cup oil in a skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot enough to sizzle a shallot ring, add all the shallots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until they are all golden brown, about 10 minutes. Regulate the heat so they fry slowly and don’t burn. Use a slotted spoon to transfer them to the prepared plate to drain. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Cook the Brussels Sprouts Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat in a large heavy skillet (preferably cast iron), until hot, but not smoking. Sauté the Brussels sprouts, tossing occasionally, for 8-10 minutes, until lightly browned in spots and cooked through, but still crisp. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper. Sprinkle with lemon juice and toss to coat.
- To Serve: Mound Brussels onto a platter. Scatter the shallots on top.
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.
Keywords: pan sautéed Brussels sprouts, Brussels sprouts with shallots
[Originally published Nov 2014. Updated Nov 2018. Same delicious recipe with some writing tweaks and added nutritional information]