These incredibly flavorful sautéed Brussels sprouts are from chef Ottolenghi. The Brussels are sliced thin, browned in the pan, and glazed with sweet and spicy maple chili sauce. They are totally irresistible.
If you're not familiar with Yotam Ottolenghi's recipes, let me introduce you to one of my favorite chefs and cookbook authors. Ottolenghi's Middle Eastern recipes are gorgeous and exciting. He has a special talent for making the healthiest vegetables into dishes that are utterly irresistible, like these scrumptious sweet and spicy Brussels sprouts!
Many years back, when I first came upon Ottolenghi's first cookbook at my local bookstore, I felt like I had struck gold.
Ottolenghi is far from a hidden treasure these days. He has multiple best selling cookbooks, a couple of highly acclaimed London restaurants, three gourmet delis and a weekly column in the Guardian.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe in his second cookbook Plenty The original recipe was for Brussels Sprouts and Tofu. It's an excellent dish with tofu and I highly recommend trying it. But I omitted it here, as was going for a simple, excellent vegetable side dish.
How To Make Sweet And Spicy Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
The recipe goes very quickly once you've done some slicing and dicing. And by they way, you can do all of the slicing and dicing a day ahead, if you want to make things really easy when it comes time to put this dish together.
- The Sauce: Start by whisking up the 5-ingredient maple chili sauce. It's a mix of store-bought sweet chili sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar and maple syrup.
- Slice and Dice: Slice the Brussels into thirds and thinly slice the scallions and red chilis.
- Sauté: Sauté the Brussels sprouts in batches until they're browned and starting to caramelize. Remove them from the pan and add the chopped scallions and chilis. Give those a quick sauté for a minute or so. Return the Brussels to the pan, pour in the sauce, cook for two minutes until everything is hot and glazed with sauce. Done!
Other Favorite Ottolenghi Recipes on Panning The Globe:
- Ottolenghi's Roast Chicken with Za'atar and Sumac
- Ottolenghi's Turkey Zucchini Meatballs with Lemony Yogurt Sauce
- Ottolenghi's Lentil Salad with Herbs and Feta
Here's Ottolenghi's Sweet and Spicy Sautéed Brussels Sprouts recipe. If you try this recipe I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and comment. I'd love to know what you think!Print