This Greek Style Garlicky Shrimp with Feta is incredibly delicious and the recipe is easy. A steaming pot of shrimp in spicy, lemony, buttery garlic sauce with melted feta that's ready in 35 minutes. Serve it with crusty bread to sop up every delicious drop of amazing sauce.
I can't rave enough about this recipe. It's a treasure. Perfectly cooked shrimp simmered in lemony, garlicky melted feta sauce. Truly outstanding! And it practically cooks itself. All you do is scatter a bunch of stuff in a pot, put the cover on, turn on the heat, and the magic happens.
How To Make Greek-Style Garlicky Shrimp with Feta
Gather all of your ingredients together: Shrimp, butter, oil, garlic, parsley, lemon juice, chili powder, salt and feta cheese.
Layer everything into the pot except the lemon juice and feta:
You'll need a heavy casserole dish or shallow pot with a lid.
- Cut the butter and sprinkle it over the bottom of the pot.
- Lay half the shrimp over the butter.
- Next scatter on half the garlic, parsley and chili powder.
- Then add the rest of the shrimp, the rest of the garlic, parsley, chili powder and salt. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and feta cheese and cook for another 8 minutes, until the shrimp is just cooked through and the cheese is melted.
Inside the steamy chamber the flavors meld and everything gets warm and tender. When you take off the cover an intoxicating aroma is unleashed and the sight of steamy fresh shrimp, floating in a lemony, garlicky sauce with melted feta on top is truly irresistible.
How To Serve This Garlicky Shrimp:
- Serve Greek Style Garlicky Shrimp for dinner with this simple green salad or this green salad, and crusty bread.
- This dish also works really well over pasta. There's plenty of delicious sauce to coat the noodles and make a delicious garlic shrimp pasta.
- My favorite way to serve this dish is at the start of a party, as an appetizer. I take the pot right from the stove, steaming hot, and set it on my kitchen island. I have a basket of sliced crusty bread nearby, a stack of bowls, spoons and forks. It's also good to have napkins on hand in case people want to pick up the shrimp by the tails. When guests arrive, I take off the lid and let people dig in. Pure heaven!
It's great to have some recipes like this in the repertoire. So nice when you don't have to work very hard and you can still get something incredibly delicious on the table fast. This garlic shrimp recipe gives way more than it takes.
If you like quick and delicious shrimp recipes, you'll love this recipe for Gambas Al Ajillo (Spanish spicy garlic shrimp)
Here's the recipe for Greek-Style Garlicky Shrimp with Feta. If you try this recipe I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think!Print
Greek-style Garlicky Shrimp with Feta
Garlicky shrimp with lemon, parsley and feta. A quick and easy recipe that's delicious enough for a special occasion and easy enough for a weeknight.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Main course or Appetizer
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Greek
- 3 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp, tails on
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
- 2 cups crumbled feta cheese (about 10 ounces)
- For serving Thick slices of crusty bread
You'll need a shallow heavy pot or Dutch oven with a lid.
- Chop butter into pieces and scatter around the bottom of the pot. Scatter half the shrimp over the butter. Scatter half the garlic, half the parsley, half the chili powder and half the salt over the shrimp. Drizzle on 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Arrange the rest of the shrimp on top, followed by the rest of the garlic, parsley, chili powder and salt. Drizzle on the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Cover the pot and turn the heat to medium high. Cook for 8 minutes or until the shrimp have lost their raw color. Pour in lemon juice and scatter the feta cheese on top. Baste the shrimp with a few spoons of sauce from the bottom of the pot, and gently jiggle the pot to distribute the sauce throughout.
- Lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for another 8 minutes or until the feta is just melted. Serve hot with crusty bread for dipping.
Keywords: shrimp, appetizer, casserole, easy recipe
[Originally published December, 2013. Updated December 2018 with added nutritional information and some tweaks to the writing]