Here’s a simple and satisfying roasted vegetable salad with raw kale, roasted carrots, potatoes, chickpeas, mustardy vinaigrette and avocado. A big bowl of vegan goodness with plenty of flavor that is filling enough to be a stand-alone dinner salad.
This roasted vegetable salad wasn’t planned. It’s something I threw together for dinner one night for Eddie and me, with no recipe. But we enjoyed it so much I decided to share. Sometimes good things come without a plan – simply by throwing together a bunch of stuff you love.
There’s nothing gourmet or exotic about this salad, just a bunch of healthy plant-based ingredients with a simple vinaigrette – a nutritious vegan meal that satisfies!
Why this salad is so good and so good for you
The ingredients harmonize – some raw, some cooked, a little crunch amid some tender bites, and a tasty mustard vinaigrette to tie it all together.
- Tuscan kale (also called dinosaur kale, Lacinato and cavolo nero) is one of my favorite salad ingredients, a tender variety of kale, ideal for eating raw. Kale is a superfood, high in fiber and rich in nutrients, including vitamins C, E and K, folate and minerals.
- Carrots, potatoes and chickpeas bring richness and substance to this dish. Roasting makes the veggies sweet and tender and the chickpeas firm and crunchy.
- The creamy mustard vinaigrette is bright and tart, a perfect complement to sweet tender roasted vegetables and savory chickpeas.
- As for the avocados, well, everything is better with avocados!
How To Make This Roasted Vegetable Salad
Here’s how to get this roasted vegetable salad on the table quickly and easily:
- Make The Vinaigrette: Preheat the oven to 425ºF and whisk up the vinaigrette. The ingredients are olive oil, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Prep The Veggies and Chickpeas: Slice the carrots and potatoes and put them into a big bowl with a can of drained chickpeas. Pat the veggies and chickpeas dry with paper towels or with a clean dish towel. This step is very important for getting the veggies nice and brown and the chickpeas crisp. When dry, toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast the veggies and chickpeas: Spread them out in a shallow roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet and cook until they’re tender and browned in spots, 25-30 minutes.
- Slice the kale: While the veggies are roasting, pull the kale leaves from the stems and slice the leaves into thin ribbons.(stems are not needed for this recipe)
- Toss The Salad: As soon as the veggies are done, scoop them into a big bowl with the kale, pour in the vinaigrette and toss everything together. The heat of the roasted vegetables will tenderize the kale and the warm veggies will soak in the delicious dressing. Garnish with slices of avocado and enjoy!
I hesitate to list ways to enhance this roasted vegetable salad because part of the reason I love it so much is that it’s so simple, and so wonderful in its simplicity.
But my mind is flooded with ideas for how to take this dish in other different delicious directions, so here you go:
Variations on The Theme
Here are my ideas. I’d love to know yours.
- Add protein on top: seared salmon, crumbled feta, shredded chicken
- Sub parsnips for the potatoes, squash for carrots, spinach for kale
- Sprinkle with toasted nuts or seeds
- Add fresh herbs such as basil or oregano
- Mix in chopped scallions or shallots.
If you like this type of veggie-centric meal, here are a few other good recipes to try:
- Sweet Potato Brussels Sprout Buddha Bowl [vegan]
- Roasted Vegetable Quinoa Salad with Feta
- my Favorite Vegetarian Chili [vegan]
- Thai Noodle Salad Bowl with Spicy Peanut Dressing [vegan option]
Here’s the recipe for this Easy Roasted Vegetable Salad with Kale and Chickpeas. If you try this recipe I hope you’ll come back to leave a star rating and comment. I’d love to know what you think.Print
Easy Roasted Vegetable Salad with Kale and Chickpeas [Vegan]
A vegan salad of raw kale, roasted vegetables and mustard wine vinaigrette. Hearty enough for dinner. Delicious too!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 2-3 servings 1x
- Category: salad
- Method: roast
- Cuisine: American
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced or squeezed through a garlic press
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch Tuscan kale, (also called dinosaur kale, lacinato and cavalo nero)
- 4 large carrots, sliced into ¼-inch discs
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, halved or quartered, then cut into thin (¼-inch) slices.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 haas avocado, sliced (do this last so it doesn’t turn brown)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. In a small bowl, combine mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic. Drizzle in the oil while whisking to emulsify. Dressing can be made ahead and will keep well in the fridge for several days.
- Dry carrots, potatoes and chickpeas well with paper towels or a clean dish towel. Put them in a bowl and toss them with olive oil (3 tablespoons), salt (½ teaspoon), basil (1 teaspoon) and pepper, to taste. Spread veggies and chickpeas out into a single layer in a shallow roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 25-35 minutes, until tender and browned in spots.
- While the veggies are roasting, strip the kale leaves from their thick stems. Wash and dry the leaves, stack them and slice them crosswise into thin ribbons.
- In a large bowl toss slivered kale with the hot veggies right from the oven and the mustard vinaigrette. Correct seasonings with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with avocado slices and serve warm or at room temperature.
Tips for success:
- To help the veggies and chickpeas brown in the oven, dry them well before tossing them with oil and roasting them.
- As soon as the vegetables and chickpeas come out of the oven, toss them with the kale and the dressing. The heat will tenderize the kale and helps the veggies absorb the flavorful dressing.
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.
Keywords: kale dinner salad, kale and roasted vegetable salad, detox salad, vegan dinner salad