Shredded raw kale salad with honey, lemon, shallots, olive oil and parmesan. You will not believe how delicious the flavors are in this simple kale salad! It's truly spectacular – one of my all time favorite salads.
School is back in session here in Newton, Massachusetts. The streets are crowded again. So is the grocery store. Everyone is back in town.
I'm not quite in gear yet - I'm still sipping my coffee slowly, and only getting through a leisurely half cup before there's some call to action: can you please make me a smoothie? Have you seen my black belt? Can you drive me to school early? Even the dog is up extra early, giving me that "I'm ready for my walk" look.
It's time to get on the ball, me! The emails are piling up: picture day, back-to-school night, PTO dues....I'll spare you the rest of my long list.
No time to experiment in the kitchen this week. Luckily I have this great recipe up my sleeve that's quick, easy, healthy and delicious: Raw Kale Salad with Honey Lemon and Parmesan Dressing. It's adapted from a Weight Watchers Recipe. My friend Renee brought it to a potluck dinner a few years ago. I loved it and was even more thrilled to learn that it was made from healthy raw kale!
How To Make This Raw Kale Salad
- It's best if you use dark green dinosaur kale, also called cavolo nero or lacinato, which is the perfect texture for this salad, much more tender than curly kale. No need to massage dinosaur kale.
- Wash, stack and sliver the kale leaves
- Whisk up the vinaigrette: honey, lemon juice, grated parmesan cheese, minced shallots, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Toss the kale with dressing and serve.
- This salad comes together in just 15 minutes.
I hope you love it as much as I do!
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
- The Best Green Salad
- Canyon Ranch Shrimp with White Beans and Kale
- North African Chicken Stew with Sweet Potatoes Apricots and Kale
- Portuguese Sausage Kale Potato Soup
- Sweet Potato Brussels Sprout Buddha Bowl with Kale and Vegan Pecan Parmean
- Dutch Stamppot: Kale Mashed Potatoes with Smoky Sausages
- Roasted Squash Stuffed with Roasted Vegetables
Here's the recipe for raw Kale Salad with Honey Lemon and Parmesan. If you try this recipe I hope you'll come back and leave a rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think.Print
Raw Kale Salad with Honey Lemon Parmesan Dressing
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 5-6 1x
An exceptionally delicious, super healthy raw kale salad.
This recipe is adapted from , adapted from Weight Watchers
- 1 large bunch Tuscan kale, washed, thick stems removed (about a pound) note: Tuscan Kale is the darker, less curly kale, also known as Dinosaur kale or Lacinato Kale.
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup good quality finely grated parmesan cheese (I recommend Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- Slice the Kale: Stack about ⅓ of the kale leaves at a time into a pile and slice thinly into ¼-inch shreds. Repeat with the rest of the kale. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Make the Dressing and Toss the Salad: In a small bowl, combine shallot, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper; whisk in oil in a slow stream. Pour dressing over kale and toss. Sprinkle parmesan on and and toss again.
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: Salad
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Out of this World
Keywords: kale salad, weight watchers kale salad, easy kale salad
We added some pine nuts and golden raisins to this and it elevated it and was delish!! Thanks for a yummy recipe. It went well with the Moroccan Meatballs- which were fantastic!
I hesitated to make this salad for a long time because it looked "too simple". Big mistake. It's really delicious. Full of flavor!
BTW - I used a vegan "parmesan" (basically walnuts and nutritional yeast) instead of actual parmesan.
David I'm so glad that you finally tried this recipe and even happier to hear that you like it. Great to know that it works well as a vegan dish. Thanks for reporting back!
Absolutely amazed by how delicious this salad recipe is!! I just made it and can’t get enough. I love how incredible of a difference a complementary dressing will make when eating raw kale.
Hi Zoe! I feel the exact same way about this salad! I'm so glad you enjoyed and really appreciate that you came back to leave a comment 🙂
Made this for a potluck and it was a hit! Kale! People couldn't believe that kale tasted so good! Many asked for the recipe 🙂
Hi Wendy, I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the salad and that it was a hit at your potluck. 🙂
A simple, refreshing and delicious.salad!
This is the only way kale salad should be made!! Thank you for the recipe.
My pleasure. Thank YOU for the sweet comment!
My go to salad now. Raw kale's never tasted so good (or good at all) until I ate this.
I came across your recipe on Pinterest- such a great combo of flavors! I didn't have shallots on hand so I caramelized some onions and added some garlic toward the end of cooking. Such a simple and flavorful salad. Thanks for sharing!
I love kale all ways - cooked and raw. This salad was so fast and easy, and so delicious! I made it last week, and am making it again tonight. I used the leftovers in my morning omelette, with avocado sliced on top. So good!!
So glad to hear! Thanks Claudia. And what a fun-sounding omelette!
The dressing is so good! Love this.
Made this last night and the gazpacho last week. Delicious! You are playing perfectly to my weekly farm share ... I now have 20lbs of tomatoes sitting on my counter awaiting your next post! 🙂
Hi Lindsay! I'm so glad my timing is in sync with your farm share! I hope I can help you with your 20lbs of tomatoes but just in case I don't post a new recipe in time, why don't you see if this one looks good to you: https://www.panningtheglobe.com/roasted-tomatoes-and-mushrooms-with-grilled-bread/
Carol at Wild Goose Tea
I just got introduced to the idea of using raw kale in a salad. I am a green salad eater, but I want a mixture of greens or something waaaaaay different than merely plain lettuce. Not all the time, but most of the time. I never thought of using kale. Anyway thanx for a gentle push in that direction.
LOVE this!!! Had some vegan friends over and left out the cheese and "substituted" chopped pistachios. Was good. Thanks, Lisa! Delicious!
Rachel (Rachel's Kitchen NZ)
Oh, I love kale salad and this one looks lovely and kale is so good for you.