A simple but special salad of soft buttery lettuce with a bright citrus honey dressing.
- For the Dressing
- 2 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice plus the zest of one lemon (zest before juicing)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice plus the zest of 1 lime (zest before juicing)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Sea salt (I recommend Maldon) or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons canola oil
- For the Salad
- 3 heads butter lettuce (also called Bibb, Boston or living lettuce)
- 1/2 cup fresh tarragon leaves, roughly chopped
- Make the Dressing: Whisk lemon juice and zest, lime juice and zest, honey, and dijon in a small bowl. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly, to emulsify the dressing. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Make the Salad: Cut the root end off the lettuces and gently wash and dry the leaves. I like to rinse leaves separately, under the tap, and spin them dry in my salad spinner. Tear the larger leaves into smaller pieces. Pile leaves into a large bowl. Sprinkle in the tarragon and toss it gently with the lettuce. Just before serving, toss the salad with just enough dressing to coat. Serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Category: Salad
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Out of This World
Keywords: green salad, butter lettuce salad