This Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad is everything you want in a salad, and more. Shaved brussels sprouts are tossed with arugula, zesty red wine shallot vinaigrette, toasted pecans, and just enough parmesan cheese for an incredibly satisfying combination of flavor and crunch.
This is a wonderful salad for a casual family meal or for a fancy dinner party.
I'm completely hooked on this shaved brussels sprouts salad and its crisp, zesty, nutty, richness. And I love that it's so packed with healthy veggies and nuts. Luckily my family loves it too because it's become a regular in our weekly dinner rotation and then again the next day for lunch, with sliced chicken on top. It holds up well overnight!
HOW TO MAKE THIS SHAVED BRUSSELS SPROUTS SALAD
This is a quick and easy salad to throw together, and even quicker if you have a food processor to shred the brussels sprouts.
Here are the ingredients for the salad: brussels sprouts, baby arugula, good quality parmesan cheese and pecans. For the vinaigrette, you'll need red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, a shallot, a little sugar or honey, salt and pepper.
- Start by trimming the brussels sprouts. Cut off the woody root ends and remove any damaged outer leaves.
- Next, shave the brussels sprouts using a knife, a mandoline or a food processor.
HOW TO SHAVE BRUSSELS SPROUTS
- With a sharp knife - Hold the sprout by one end and carefully cut each Brussels sprout crosswise, into thin slices.
- With a Mondoline Slicer/Shaver - make sure you have a good mandoline slicer with a food-holder attachment to protect your fingers. Adjust the mandoline to a setting that gives you thin slices. Use the food holder to move each brussel sprout back and forth over the blade of the mandoline.
- With a Food Processor - Use the slicing blade which is sometimes called the S-blade. My Breville Food processor has an adjustable slicing blade. If yours does too, I recommend using the second lowest setting for thin shreds. Load the brussels sprouts into the feed chute. Turn on the food processor and press down on the brussels with the plunger, to shred them. This method is by far the quickest way to shave brussels sprouts.
- Once you've got the brussels shaved, combine them with the arugula in a large bowl.
- Toast the pecans and whisk up the vinaigrette.
- Toss the arugula and shaved brussels sprouts with ¾ of the vinaigrette; half the parmesan and half the pecans.
- Taste the salad and make adjustments, if necessary, with additional salt, pepper and vinaigrette.
- Sprinkle the rest of the parmesan and pecans on top of the salad and serve.
How to serve Shredded Brussels Sprouts Salad and what to serve it with
This salad works well with roast chicken, beef stew, broiled salmon, or really any main dish that calls out for a healthy green salad with a bright zesty dressing. It also works wonderfully as a main dish, topped with chicken, salmon, steak, poached eggs or whatever other favorite toppings you like.
Other delicious brussels sprouts recipes to try:
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Crispy Fried Shallots
- Ottolenghi's Sweet and Spicy Sautéed Brussels Sprouts
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Dried Cherries
- Skillet Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Sherry
Here's the Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe. If you make this, I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think!Print