I discovered this Chicken Pizzaiola recipe at cooking school in Positano Italy. I was bowled over by the flavors of this incredibly simple dish: chicken cutlets topped with fresh tomatoes, herbs and two cheeses. Chicken dinner doesn’t get any easier or tastier than this. Dinner in 25 minutes.
We all need a little treasure chest of recipes like this, for when we want a scrumptious meal with minimal time in the kitchen. I picked up this chicken pizzaiola recipe on my My Italian cooking vacation. It’s a rare gem of a recipe that will allow you to enjoy your day away from the kitchen and still get a delicious dinner on the table in less than thirty minutes.
Pizzaiola is an Italian word meaning “in the style of pizza.”
In this recipe ‘pizzas’ are constructed atop boneless chicken breast cutlets.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN PIZZAIOLA
- Set the thin chicken cutlets on a lightly oiled baking pan.
- Heat gorgonzola cheese with a little water to make it spreadable
- Coat each chicken cutlet with a layer of gorgonzola
- Sprinkle chicken cutlets with shredded mozzarella and chopped fresh tomatoes
- Finally, season with salt, pepper and oregano. Then into the oven to bake.
The chicken comes out of the oven hot with cheeses melted and flavors melded and utterly irresistible.
Here are a Few More Quick and Delicious Recipes from Panning The Globe
- Cuban Picadillo: Ground Beef Stew with Tomatoes and Olives
- Quick Thai Beef Bok Choy Rice Bowl
- Thai Green Curry Chicken With Snow Peas
- Korean Chicken Stew with Spinach
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN PIZZAIOLA
Here are some of my favorite simple side dishes to serve with this chicken:
- Butter Lettuce Salad with Citrus Honey Vinaigrette
- Italian Insalata tricolore
- Chimichurri Broccoli Salad
- Sautéed Spinach and Garlic
Here’s the recipe for Quick Chicken Pizzaiola. If you try this recipe I hope you’ll come back to leave a comment and a star rating. I’d love to know what you think!Print
Quick Chicken Pizzaiola with Fresh Tomatoes
Quick and delicious baked chicken with two cheeses, fresh tomatoes and herbs
- Prep Time: 12 mins
- Cook Time: 13 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Lunch or Dinner
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Italian
- 6 skinless chicken breast cutlets, pounded or sliced to about 1/3-inch thick (about 4 ounces each)
- 5–6 ripe plum tomatoes, washed, stem end sliced off, cut into 1/4-inch dice. (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for oiling the pan
- 3/4 cup gorgonzola crumbles
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Heat gorgonzola plus two tablespoons water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until melted and creamy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Brush or spray a thin layer of oil over the bottom of a jellyroll pan or roasting pan. Arrange chicken cutlets in the pan, spaced evenly apart. Whisk two teaspoons water into the melted gorgonzola to thin it a bit. Pour a generous tablespoon of the melted cheese evenly over each cutlet, spreading it with the back of the spoon. Divide the mozzarella evenly over the top of each breast. Add the chopped tomatoes, dividing them evenly. Sprinkle the oregano and salt evenly over the chicken. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the breasts.
- Cook in the center of the oven for 10 minutes. Turn the heat up to broil and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes longer, checking every minute, until the cheese is brown and bubbly in spots and the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
Keywords: baked chicken pizzaiola, quick chicken pizzaiola