I discovered this Chicken Pizzaiola recipe at cooking school in Positano Italy. I was bowled over by the flavors of this incredibly simple dish: chicken cutlets topped with fresh tomatoes, herbs and two cheeses. Chicken dinner doesn’t get any easier or tastier than this. Dinner in 25 minutes.
We all need a little treasure chest of recipes like this, for when we want a scrumptious meal with minimal time in the kitchen. I picked up this chicken pizzaiola recipe on my My Italian cooking vacation. It’s a rare gem of a recipe that will allow you to enjoy your day away from the kitchen and still get a delicious dinner on the table in less than thirty minutes.
Pizzaiola is an Italian word meaning “in the style of pizza.”
In this recipe ‘pizzas’ are constructed atop boneless chicken breast cutlets.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN PIZZAIOLA
Chicken breast cutlets should be about 1/3 of an inch thick for this recipe. If you’ve got whole boneless chicken breasts, use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound them to the desired thinness. Alternatively, use a sharp knife to carefully slice them in half horizontally.
- Set the thin chicken cutlets on a lightly oiled baking pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat the gorgonzola cheese with a little water to make it spreadable.
- Coat each chicken cutlet with a layer of gorgonzola. Add shredded mozzarella, chopped fresh tomatoes, oregano, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake the chicken in a 375ºF oven for ten minutes. Turn the heat up to ‘broil’ and cook for 3-4 minutes longer, until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melty with some browned spots.
Chicken pizzaiola comes out of the oven hot with cheeses melted and flavors melded and utterly irresistible.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN PIZZAIOLA
Once you put the chicken pizzaiola in the oven, dinner will be ready in 15 minutes. So be sure to have your side dishes prepared in advance because chicken pizzaiola is best served hot and fresh from the oven. Here are some of my favorite sides with chicken pizzaiola.
- Butter Lettuce Salad with Citrus Honey Vinaigrette
- Italian Insalata tricolore
- Chimichurri Broccoli Salad
- Sautéed Spinach and Garlic
Here’s the recipe for Quick Chicken Pizzaiola. If you try this recipe I hope you’ll come back to leave a comment and a star rating. I’d love to know what you think!Print
Quick and delicious baked chicken with two cheeses, fresh tomatoes and herbs
Adapted from a Slow Cooking Positano recipe
- Prep Time: 12 mins
- Cook Time: 13 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4-6 servings 1x
- Category: Main dish
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Italian
- Cooking oil or spray, to coat the baking pan
- 6 4-ounce chicken breast cutlets. Cutlets should be about 1/3-inch thick.
- 3/4 cup gorgonzola crumbles (3 ounces)
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)
- 5–6 ripe plum tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch dice. (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and set a rack in the center position. Lightly oil a rimmed baking sheet or roasting pan. Arrange the chicken cutlets in the pan, spaced evenly apart.
- Heat the gorgonzola with 2 teaspoons of water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the cheese is melted and creamy. Remove from heat and let it cool for 5 minutes or so. If necessary, whisk a teaspoon or two of water into the gorgonzola mixture. It should be thin enough to spread over the chicken but thick enough that it won’t drip off. Divide the melted cheese among the chicken cutlets, spreading it with the back of the spoon. Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over the top of each breast, next add the chopped tomatoes, then the oregano and salt. Drizzle the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the chicken.
- Bake the chicken for 10 minutes at 375º and then turn the heat up to broil and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes longer, checking every minute, until the cheese is brown and bubbly in spots and the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.
Keywords: Baked chicken cutlets with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and gorgonzola