I discovered this delicious chicken pizzaiola recipe in Positano Italy. Tender chicken cutlets with fresh tomatoes, herbs and melting cheeses. Chicken dinner doesn’t get any easier than this. 15 minutes of prep, 13 minutes in the oven.
The most gorgeous summer days have been gracing us here in Boston these past couple of weeks. It’s great to be outside walking, biking, hiking. I’ve moved my “office” to the backyard. There’s no time (or desire) to fuss in the kitchen and there’s no need to because the market is bursting with fresh fabulous summer produce. This chicken pizzaiola recipe, another inspiration from my My Italian cooking vacation, will allow you to enjoy your day away from the kitchen and get a delicious dinner on the table in less than thirty minutes.
Pizzaiola means “in the style of pizza.” In this case the pizzas are constructed atop boneless chicken breast cutlets. The chicken cutlets are set out on a lightly oiled baking pan and coated with a layer of melted gorgonzola cheese.
Shredded mozzarella and chopped fresh tomatoes are added….
A sprinkling of oregano gives the chicken that final pizza taste. Then into the oven to bake.
The chicken comes out of the oven hot with cheeses melted and flavors melded and utterly irresistible.
Here are a Few More Quick and Delicious Recipes from Panning The Globe
- Cuban Picadillo: Ground Beef Stew with Tomatoes and Olives
- Quick Thai Beef Bok Choy Rice Bowl
- Thai Green Curry Chicken With Snow Peas
Here’s the recipe for Quick Chicken Pizzaiola. If you try this recipe I hope you’ll come back to leave a comment and a rating. I’d love to know what you think!Print
Quick Chicken Pizzaiola with Fresh Tomatoes
Quick and delicious baked chicken with two cheeses, fresh tomatoes and herbs
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 13 mins
- Total Time: 28 mins
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Lunch or Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian
- 6 skinless chicken breast cutlets, pounded or sliced to about 1/3-inch thick (about 4 ounces each)
- 5–6 ripe plum tomatoes, washed, stem end sliced off, cut into 1/4-inch dice. (about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil plus more for oiling the pan
- 3/4 cup gorgonzola crumbles
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Heat gorgonzola plus two tablespoons water in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until melted and creamy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Brush or spray a thin layer of oil over the bottom of a jellyroll pan or roasting pan. Arrange chicken cutlets in the pan, spaced evenly apart. Whisk two teaspoons water into the melted gorgonzola to thin it a bit. Pour a generous tablespoon of the melted cheese evenly over each cutlet, spreading it with the back of the spoon. Divide the mozzarella evenly over the top of each breast. Add the chopped tomatoes, dividing them evenly. Sprinkle the oregano and salt evenly over the chicken. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil over the breasts.
- Cook in the center of the oven for 10 minutes. Turn the heat up to broil and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes longer, checking every minute, until the cheese is brown and bubbly in spots and the chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.