I discovered this Chicken Pizzaiola recipe at cooking school in Positano Italy. I was bowled over by the flavors of this incredibly simple dish: chicken cutlets topped with fresh tomatoes, herbs and two cheeses. Chicken dinner doesn't get any easier or tastier than this. Dinner in 25 minutes.
We all need a little treasure chest of recipes like this, for when we want a scrumptious meal with minimal time in the kitchen. I picked up this chicken pizzaiola recipe on my My Italian cooking vacation. It's a rare gem of a recipe that will allow you to enjoy your day away from the kitchen and still get a delicious dinner on the table in less than thirty minutes.
Pizzaiola is an Italian word meaning "in the style of pizza."
In this recipe 'pizzas' are constructed atop boneless chicken breast cutlets.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN PIZZAIOLA
Chicken breast cutlets should be about ⅓ of an inch thick for this recipe. If you've got whole boneless chicken breasts, use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound them to the desired thinness. Alternatively, use a sharp knife to carefully slice them in half horizontally.
- Set the thin chicken cutlets on a lightly oiled baking pan.
- In a small saucepan, heat the gorgonzola cheese with a little water to make it spreadable.
- Coat each chicken cutlet with a layer of gorgonzola. Add shredded mozzarella, chopped fresh tomatoes, oregano, salt, and a drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake the chicken in a 375ºF oven for ten minutes. Turn the heat up to 'broil' and cook for 3-4 minutes longer, until the chicken is cooked through and the cheese is melty with some browned spots.
Chicken pizzaiola comes out of the oven hot with cheeses melted and flavors melded and utterly irresistible.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN PIZZAIOLA
Once you put the chicken pizzaiola in the oven, dinner will be ready in 15 minutes. So be sure to have your side dishes prepared in advance because chicken pizzaiola is best served hot and fresh from the oven. Here are some of my favorite sides with chicken pizzaiola.
- Butter Lettuce Salad with Citrus Honey Vinaigrette
- Italian Insalata tricolore
- Chimichurri Broccoli Salad
- Sautéed Spinach and Garlic
Here's the recipe for Quick Chicken Pizzaiola. If you try this recipe I hope you'll come back to leave a comment and a star rating. I'd love to know what you think!Print