Sweet Potatoes are great on the grill! Caramelized outside, sweet and tender inside, firm enough to hold up to a salad or to grab in hand and dip into a tasty dressing or aioli. Here's my easy fool-proof method for making awesome Grilled Sweet Potatoes. Plus a tasty ginger-tahini dressing for dipping or drizzling.
My goal when making Sweet Potato Fries is to get them sweet and tender but not so soft that they're mushy or droopy. If you've tried making oven roasted sweet potato fries, you know how challenging this can be. It's hard to get them brown and crisp on the outside without overcooking them. But with this grilling technique, they come out perfect every time!
HOW TO GRILL SWEET POTATOES
The key to making great grilled sweet potatoes is to precook them partially in the oven, before grilling.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes, skin on, and pop them in a 400ºF oven.
- Bake them partially - 40 minutes or so - until they're just soft enough to slice easily. (this step can be done up to a day ahead)
- Once cooled, cut the sweet potatoes into wedges, brush them with olive oil, and set them on a hot grill.
- Ten to fifteen minutes on the grill will get them crisp and caramelized on the outside, with gorgeous grill marks, and sweet and tender inside. They'll stand up like good fries should, firm enough for grabbing and dipping into delicious aioli or tahini sauce.
HOW TO SERVE GRILLED SWEET POTATOES
- GRILLED SWEET POTATO APPETIZER Serve em on a big platter with spicy aioli for dipping.
- GRILLED SWEET POTATOES SIDE DISH The simplest thing to do with grilled sweet potato wedges is heap them on a platter, drizzle them with good olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. For extra zing, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika or a little chili powder.
- GRILLED SWEET POTATO RICE BOWL I had an incredible grilled sweet potato rice bowl in London that I re-create often. Brown rice, wild rice or quinoa (or all three mixed together) is the base. Throw on some blanched or steamed greens or veggies - spinach, kale or broccoli. Top with grilled sweet potatoes and a fried egg. Dress with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper, or drizzle with ginger tahini dressing. Yum!!
Tahini-ginger dressing (recipe below) is great on grilled sweet potatoes. Big thanks to my sister-in-law Jen for this delicious recipe.
Grilled sweet potatoes are the best kind of comfort food - totally delicious with the added comfort of knowing that the food you're enjoying is healthy.
Here's the recipe for grilled sweet potatoes. If you make them I hope you'll come back to leave a comment, a rating and to let me know what you did with them and how you like them.Print