GREEK-STYLE GARLICKY SHRIMP WITH FETA

greek-style-garlicky-shrimp-with-feta-panning-the-globe

Here’s a dish that you can serve as party appetizer or for a weeknight dinner. It’s quick, easy, festive and delicious!

It’s been a ridiculously busy but wonderful week for me, with my college boys flying home for Thanksgiving and having Hanukkah mixed in. It was so great to have the whole family together again for a few days. If you have kids in college you probably know that it’s extra rewarding to cook for them because they’re so incredibly grateful for anything homemade. But I have to admit I’m exhausted!  There was lots of cooking and eating going on for days but what knocked me out were the potato latkes. There’s really no easy way to make them.  You’ve got to just tie your hair up; turn on the exhaust fan, and get frying. For one night of Hanukkah, determined to make enough latkes for all plus leftovers, I stood over two bubbling frying pans for 2 solid hours. I’m happy to say that everyone ate as many latkes as their heart desired.  There was one single latke left at the end of dinner to prove it!

So you will understand why I’m extra appreciative of this shrimp recipe because it practically cooks itself. All you do is scatter a bunch of stuff in a pot, put the cover on, turn on the heat, and the magic happens.

greek-style-garlicky-shrimp-ingredients

Everything is layered in the pot except the lemon juice and feta, which are added once the shrimp are almost cooked through.

garlicky-shrimp-panning-the-globe

Inside the steamy chamber the flavors meld and everything gets warm and tender.  When you take off the cover an intoxicating aroma is unleashed and the sight of steamy fresh shrimp, floating in a lemony, garlicky sauce with melted feta on top is truly irresistible. Make sure you have bowls and forks nearby – and napkins too, in case people want to pick up the shrimp by the tails – a nice thing to do. Also have a big basket of cut-up crusty bread, at the ready, for sopping up every last drop of the amazing sauce.

greek-style-garlicky-shrimp

You can serve this for dinner with a green salad and crusty bread or as an appetizer or hors d’oeuvre. Add more chili pepper if you like a lot of heat.  I adapted this recipe from Pure Simple Cooking by Diana Henry.  She uses a fiery hot South African red chili pepper called peri-peri in her version.

greek-style-garlicky-shrimp-panning-the-globe

I hope you’re enjoying a little relaxation between the holidays. I am.  The next wave of excitement is coming soon. As much as I love cooking, sometimes it’s nice when you don’t have to work too hard and you still get amazing results. This garlicky shrimp is one of those recipes that gives way more than it takes.

PS Let me know if you want my latke recipe.

Greek-style Garlicky Shrimp with Feta
Author:
Recipe type: Main course or Appetizer
Cuisine: Spanish
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6

Garlicky shrimp with lemon, parsley and feta - easy to make and great for dipping crusty bread.
Ingredients
  • 3 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp, tails on
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 8 garlic cloves, finely minced
  • ½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley
  • 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt.
  • 2 cups crumbled feta cheese (about 10 ounces)
  • For serving Thick slices of crusty bread
Instructions
  1. Chop butter into pieces and scatter around the bottom of a heavy pot or dutch oven with a top. Put half the shrimp over the butter. Scatter half the garlic, half the parsley, half the chili powder and half the salt over the shrimp. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Arrange the rest of the shrimp on top. Scatter the rest of the garlic, parsley, chili powder and salt. Drizzle on 2 more tablespoons of olive oil. Cover the pot and turn the heat to medium high. Cook for 8 minutes or until the shrimp have lost their raw color. Pour in lemon juice and scatter the feta cheese on top. Baste the shrimp with a few spoons of sauce from the bottom of the pot, and gently jiggle the pot to distribute the sauce throughout. Lower the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for another 8 minutes or until the feta is just melted. Serve hot with crusty bread for dipping.

Disclaimer:  On occasion I provide links in my posts to cookbooks or other products, available for purchase on Amazon. If you purchase a product through these links, I receive a small commission with no extra cost to you.

25 Responses to “GREEK-STYLE GARLICKY SHRIMP WITH FETA”

Read below or add a comment...

1. jen says:

This looks SO good! I am making it this week!!! Can’t wait. Thank, Lisa!

2. Alina Duckham says:

One of my favorite dishes!! Yumm….

3. Mindy Sieber says:

Looks incredible! Can’t wait to try this recipe and I’m so excited to know that it’s quick and easy. :)

4. Ronny K says:

Looks really good. I buy local Georgia shrimp at Russo’s in the Savannah historic district every Tuesday and I am going to try this one next week.

5. Christopher Crooks says:

My family love shrimp, and they love garlic! I will be making this this weekend, I can’t wait!

6. Marte Humbert says:

Made this last night – DELICIOUS!

7. Chris Crooks says:

I made this dish last night. It was so easy to put together…………………and so delicious. Whole family loved it. Can’t wait for leftovers.

8. Well your pictures are just so gorgeous I want to jump right in them!

9. Diana Pierson says:

Looks wonderful will definitely be making this.

10. Sounds so good I will definitely be making this.

11. Claudia says:

This was wonderful, and so easy! I had the leftovers on top of pasta the next day…yum

12. This looks as though it is packed with flavors, and I always appreciate a short ingredient list!

13. Gloria says:

Love this recipe ! So easy to make and impressive on the table. I have made this three times, by itself, over rice and over angel hair pasta. All very good.
    Thanks Lisa and Panning the Globe.

14. Drkgrlx says:

So, I made this last night and followed the recipe almost to a tee. I couldn’t find a birds eye chilling, so I used crushed red pepper flakes instead. Also, I used the feta with tomato and basil blended in. OMG. This was restaurant quality and I was in awe at how delicious this was! I was bragging all over about how awesome this was. I will definitely make this a favorite for entertaining and just for me!!

15. Katie says:

So delish! Just made this and I wish I could eat it forever!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

16. Donna says:

I made this last night for a few friends and it was so delicious no one could stop eating it. It was really easy and a perfect dish for guests. Thank you!

17. Pixie says:

I had to comment…my married daughter is on a diet and I was looking for recipes for those nights when we’re together that might spark her appetite without too many calories. I found your site and have downloaded about seven recipes; I hope you don’t mind:). Honestly, if I hadn’t just spent two hours on a Cajun meat pie, I would head to the kitchen right now to start one of your delightful looking recipes!!! Thank you very much and I look forward to commenting, with apologies for not having tried one yet. I’m very comfortable knowing they will be great.

I would surely appreciate your latke recipe; I get the slaving effort but so worth the tradition:)

• Hi Pixie – I’m delighted that you downloaded 7 recipes!
      Yes, I totally agree that slaving over latkes is totally worth it! Here’s my recipe: 4 large russet potatoes, 1 large onion, lemon juice (to keep the potatoes from turning brown) 2 large eggs (beaten), 1/4 cup flour (or matzo meal), 2 teaspoons salt, a pinch of white pepper. vegetable oil for frying. Directions: Grate the potatoes (I use my food processor). Put them in a big bowl, squeeze them with a dish towel to dry them, wring out the towel. Toss with a teaspoon or two of lemon juice. Grate the onion. Add that to the potatoes along with the eggs, flour, salt and pepper. Mix well. Heat 1/4-inch of oil in a large (preferably cast-iron) skillet until hot. Drop in heaping tablespoons of potato mixture and fry on both sides until nice and brown. Transfer to a paper-towel lined oven tray. Keep them warm in a 225F oven until it’s time to eat.

18. Donna says:

So I made this for my husband since he missed it the first time I made it. I cooked up some linguine and tossed it with the shrimp a little extra squeeze of lemon juice and it was a great meal. All gone!

Trackbacks

1. […] INGREDIENTS:3 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp, tails on4 tablespoons unsalted butter4 tablespoons olive oil8 garlic cloves, finely minced½ cup chopped flat leaf parsley6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice1 tablespoon chili powder1 teaspoon kosher salt.2 cups crumbled feta cheese (about 10 ounces)For serving Thick slices of crusty breadDIRECTIONS: http://www.panningtheglobe.com/2013/12/04/greek-style-garlicky-shrimp-feta/  […]

What do you think? Please leave a comment.