Meet one of my favorite brunch recipes: Smoked salmon quesadillas. Smoked salmon, goat-cheese, basil and lemon zest are sandwiched between crisp toasted tortillas. They are easy to throw together for a crowd, tempting to behold and most importantly, they're absolutely scrumptious!
Whenever I host a brunch the first thing I think about is flavor. My second concern is logistics. The goal, when hosting, is to make the most delicious food possible and still be able to enjoy the festivities (not in the kitchen!)
That's why I love these quesadillas so much. They take a bit more work than the classic salmon bagel and cream cheese platter, but you can do all of the prep work in advance and they are festive and flavorful - a real crowd-pleaser.
The recipe comes from a fun cookbook called Radically Simple, by Rozanne Gold. It's a simple and straight forward recipe, as are most of the recipes in the book.
I made a couple of minor tweaks. I upped the goat cheese to cream cheese ratio and I devised a preparation strategy that works well if you're cooking for a crowd.
HOW TO MAKE SMOKED SALMON QUESADILLAS FOR A CROWD
If you're cooking brunch for a large group of people, you probably don't want to be standing over the stove, browning tortillas after your guests arrive. Here's how to prep these quesadillas ahead so you can enjoy your guests:
- Brown all the tortillas ahead of time.
- Once the tortillas are cool, lay out half of them and top with all the fixings: goat cheese, cream cheese, smoked salmon, basil and lemon zest.
- Add another toasted tortilla on top
- Set the assembled smoked salmon quesadillas on baking trays and cover lightly with saran or foil.
- Just before serving, remove the saran/foil and pop them into a preheated oven to warm.
- Slice into triangles using a pizza cutter and arrange on a platter.
When you take your first crisp bite, as you experience the mingling of minty basil, sharp lemony zest, tangy, creamy goat cheese and salty smoky salmon, it might just be love at first bite. It was for me!
Here's the recipe for Smoked Salmon Quesadillas with Goat Cheese. If you try this recipe, I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think.Print