Crisp quesadillas stuffed with goat cheese, smoked salmon, lemon and basil. Perfect for brunch!
- 8 flour tortillas (8-inch)
- 6 ounces goat cheese, from a log
- 4 ounces whipped cream cheese
- 8 ounces smoked salmon, sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 cup slivered basil leaves, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- Vegetable oil for sautéing
- Assemble Quesadillas Preheat oven to 225ºF. In a medium sized bowl stir cream cheese and goat cheese until thoroughly combined. Set 4 tortillas out on the counter. Spread each tortilla with 1/4 of the goat cheese mixture. Evenly distribute the salmon slices, basil and lemon zest. Cover each with a second tortilla and press down gently.
- Cook Quesadillas Heat 2 teaspoons of oil over medium-high heat in a large cast iron or non-stick skillet. (for speed, work with two skillets) Place a quesadilla in the skillet and cook for about 2 minutes, until crisp and golden brown on the bottom. Flip quesadilla and brown on the other side. Transfer the quesadilla to a large baking sheet in the oven, to keep warm while you cook the remaining quesadillas. Slice quesadillas into quarters with a pizza cutter, and arrange on a platter.
- Optional garnish Sprinkle slivered basil over the quesadillas
Cooking for a crowd: If you're doubling or tripling this recipe, you'll want to do some prep ahead. Brown all the tortillas on just one side. When they're cool, lay half of them out a flat surface, brown side down. Spread the goat cheese mixture on the top (uncooked side) and assemble the fillings on top. Cover with another tortilla, browned side up, pressing down gently. Place all the assembled quesadillas on baking trays. Just before serving, pop them in a 250F preheated oven for about 10 minutes, to heat them through. For extra crispness you can turn on the broiler for the last minute or so of heating. Watch carefully and constantly so they don't burn. Slice into wedges, pile onto a platter and serve warm, topped with slivered basil.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 16 mins
- Category: Breakfast or Brunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: smoked salmon quesadillas, goat cheese quesadillas, quesadillas with salmon and goat cheese