A very simple, exceptionally delicious, super healthy kale salad.
This recipe is adapted from Weight Watchers
- 1 large bunch Tuscan kale (about a pound) thick stems removed, leaves washed and dried
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup good quality finely grated parmesan cheese such as Parmigiano Reggiano
- Stack about 1/3 of the kale leaves at a time into a pile and slice thinly into 1/4-inch shreds. Repeat with the rest of the kale. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine shallots, lemon juice, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper. Whisk the dressing, pour it over the kale, and toss well. Sprinkle on parmesan and toss again. Let the salad sit for 5-10 minutes to soak up the dressing before serving.
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.
Tuscan kale is also called dinaosaur or lacinato kale or cavolo nero.
Three ways to de-stem kale - use a knife to slice the leaves off the stems; pull the leaves from the stems by hand; use a kale stripper to strip them off. For more details on how to de-stem kale, refer to the photos in the post.
How to wash kale - once the kale is de-stemmed, wash the kale leaves in a salad spinner or by swishing them in a bowl of cold water and pouring off the dirty water. Repeat until the water remains clean even after you swish the kale. Dry the kale in the spinner or by shaking the leaves off and blotting them with a clean dish towel.
How to store kale so it stays fresh for up to a week: After the kale is de-stemmed and washed, dry it partially - the leaves should be slightly damp. Lay a long strip of paper towels out on the counter and arrange as many kale leaves as you can on top, in a single layer. Add another long strip of paper towels over the leaves and another layer of leaves on top of that. Roll the double layer of leaves loosely, from one end to the other. Place the roll into a large ziplock bag. You may have to scrunch it in. Seal the bag and store it in your fridge.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: Salad
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Out of this World
Keywords: simple kale salad with lemon honey parmesan dressing