These quick pickled red onions add sublime vinegary crunch to burgers, sandwiches or whatever else you’re serving. They’re super easy to make and they keep for weeks in the fridge. You probably already have everything you need to make them so let’s get cooking!
How to make pickled red onions
The recipe is as easy as can be. Just soak sliced red onions in a heated mixture of vinegar, salt and sugar, let them cool and enjoy!
- Slice two red onions thinly and put them in a large bowl.
- Mix white vinegar with a little water, sugar and salt and bring it to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Pour the hot vinegar mixture over the onions and let them soak. When they’re cool, they’re ready!
- Pickled onions can be stored in the fridge for two weeks.
Quick pickles like this, often called refrigerator pickles, can be made with all sorts of veggies: carrots, cucumbers, radishes… Onions are my favorite – when you’ve got a jar of bright pink pickled red onions in the fridge, there are so many delicious possibilities:
- Put them on a bagel with cream cheese and salmon (instead of capers)
- Add them to a cheese platter
- Stuff them into chicken enchiladas verdes or use them as a topping.
Whatever you’re eating, whether it’s burgers, burritos, sandwiches or salads, these crunchy pink pickles are great to have on hand to jazz things up!
Here are a few Panning The Globe dishes where pickled red onions feature prominently: Vegetarian Enchiladas Verdes, Korean BBQ Burgers, roasted vegetable quinoa salad and Korean beef lettuce wraps appetizer.
In this Korean beef lettuce wrap recipe, I pickled radishes and onions together. Pickled radishes are delicious and when you soak them in hot vinegar, they release their red color and deepen the pinkness of the onions.
When you think of your favorite condiments, you probably have ketchup and mustard on your list or perhaps mayonnaise? Try making these pickled onions once and, if you’re like me, you’ll add them to you list!
Here’s the recipe for quick pickled red onions. If you try this recipe I hope you’ll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I’d love to know what you think!Print
Quick Pickled Red Onions
Crunchy vinegary pickled red onions, great to have on hand for jazzing up everything from burgers to sandwiches to salads.
- Prep Time: 5 min
- Cook Time: 3 min
- Total Time: 8 minutes
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: condiment
- Method: simmer
- Cuisine: American
- 2 medium red onions, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 ½ cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- Put sliced onions into a bowl. Combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook just until salt and sugar dissolve. Pour hot vinegar mixture over onions and stir.
- Let the onions cool for 30 minutes or so. Cover and store in the fridge for at least 45 minutes and up to 2 weeks.
Keywords: pickled onions, quick pickled onions, easy pickled onions, refrigerator pickles