This Salmon Niçoise Salad is a redesign of the classic French salad, with Asian marinated salmon as the centerpiece accompanied by lentils vinaigrette, herbed potatoes, sautéed asparagus, and roasted tomatoes.
Each element in this salad is wonderful on its own. Put them all together and you have a bountiful feast. I love to make this for company because everything can be prepared ahead of time.
A big shout out to my friend Ingrid who inspired this recipe. She cooked the most spectacular dinner for me when I visited her at her home in Maine: salmon niçoise salad and a fresh cherry tart. Both of these delicious dishes are now Panning The Globe.
SALMON NIÇOISE SALAD: VARIATIONS ON THE THEME
Here's a photo of Ingrid's salmon niçoise (taken with my iPhone). Her salad had grilled wild salmon, purple and white potatoes with creamy vinaigrette, sautéed pencil asparagus, lentils, black olives and a lightly-dressed mesclun salad.
It was a beautiful, healthful meal and I couldn't wait to re-create it at home. Here are some of the combos I came up with:
- Grilled salmon, purple and white potatoes, lentils, kalamata olives and roasted Roma tomatoes
- Broiled salmon, roasted tomatoes, boiled new potatoes, lentils and asparagus
- And finally, my favorite rendition with Asian-marinated broiled salmon, Ottolenghi lentils, sautéed asparagus, herbed fingerling potatoes and roasted cherry tomatoes. There are two platters here because I was hosting a large crowd.
This dish, as you can see, is adaptable. Use your favorite veggies and potatoes or whatever is fresh and in season. Here's how to make my favorite version of Salmon niçoise Salad:
ASIAN MARINATED BROILED SALMON
- You'll make a simple 3-ingredient Asian-inspired marinade for the salmon, a mix of soy sauce, maple syrup and sesame oil.
- The salmon is cooked for a short time under the hot broiler, then tented with foil to finish cooking.
- This technique will give you the most incredibly tender salmon.
- The salmon can be marinated and broiled up to a day ahead, stored in the fridge until you're ready to assemble the salmon Niçoise salad.
VEGETABLES AND LENTILS
- Sweet, oven roasted cherry tomatoes: toss tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper and pop them in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Herbed fingerling potatoes: Boil and drain potatoes, and while they're still hot toss with olive oil, salt, pepper and shallots. Cool and add chopped herbs.
- Simple sautéed the asparagus: toss asparagus in a skillet with olive oil, until just tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ottolenghi inspired lentils: Lentils are cooked and then tossed with oil, vinegar, red onions, herbs, salt and pepper.
- Or choose another vegetable, or make a simple mesclun salad with a lemony dressing like the one I use for this classic Salad Niçoise.
This meal makes everyone happy, a colorful smorgasbord of delicious food. Healthy, to boot!
IF YOU'RE A FAN OF COMPOSED SALADS, here are a few more favorites from Panning The Globe:
- Classic Salad Niçoise
- Chopped Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
- Grilled Zucchini Caprese Salad Stacks
- Canyon Ranch Healthy Shrimp Salad with White Beans and Kale
Here's the recipe for Salmon Niçoise Salad. If you try this recipe I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think!Print