It's easy to make a big batch of these BBQ chicken Burritos and they are the absolute BEST. There's nothing complicated here - just tortillas filled with shredded chicken, bbq sauce, onions, tomatoes, cilantro and cheese - but they are crazy good!
I always make these burritos in bulk. They're freezer-friendly, kid friendly, and they also make grown-ups happy.
These BBQ Chicken Burritos have been a family favorite since as far back as I can remember. Everyone loves them (even those who don't like cilantro - go figure?)
This is a great recipe for the weeknight dinner rotation because they're easy to assemble; you can make them ahead of time, keep them in the fridge, and pop them in the oven to heat, just before dinner.
HOW TO MAKE BBQ CHICKEN BURRITOS
- Start by searing fresh boneless chicken breasts in a skillet for 7-8 minutes per side. Or go fat-free and make poached chicken. Or, if you're pressed for time, buy a rotisserie chicken. You need about 5 cups of cooked shredded chicken for this recipe.
- To shred the chicken, insert two forks into the breast and pull in opposite directions.
- Mix the shredded chicken with your favorite BBQ sauce - I like using honey teriyaki bbq sauce or something that has a mix of sweet, salty and a little spicy, such as Sweet Baby Ray's.
- Make a quick salsa of chopped tomato, onions and cilantro.
- Set up a work station with a stack of tortillas and all of your fillings: chicken, salsa, and shredded cheese.
- It's easy to assemble the enchiladas. My 14 year old son is an expert, as you can see below.
- Once you've rolled them all up, you can freeze them, if you like, in an airtight container. They can be cooked, from frozen, in the microwave or in the oven. My kids love heating one up in the microwave as an after-school snack.
- If you want to cook the chicken burritos right away, arrange them in a baking pan and pop them into a 400º oven for 12-15 minutes, until they're hot and the cheese is melted.
HOW TO SERVE BBQ CHICKEN BURRITOS
Here's the BBQ Chicken Burritos Recipe. If you make this, I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think.Print
BBQ Chicken Burritos
A winning mix of a few simple ingredients makes these BBQ Chicken Burritos a favorite easy weeknight dinner.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 5-6 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Tex-mex
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds) or substitute 5 cups of shredded poached chicken or leftover cooked chicken.
- ¾ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce - something sweet & spicy is best
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (About 3 medium tomatoes)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 medium-sized onion)
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro (about half a bunch)
- 12 (9-inch) flour tortillas
- 12 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- chopped scallions
- chopped cilantro
- extra bbq sauce
Equipment: A large rectangular baking dish or casserole, toothpicks
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken breasts and cook, undisturbed for 7 minutes on one side. Turn and cook on the other side about 7-8 minutes more (or until chicken is no longer pink when you cut into the thickest part). Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred it. (or skip this step and use 5 cups of poached chicken or leftover cooked chicken)
- In a mixing bowl, toss the shredded chicken with the BBQ sauce and set it aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, onion and cilantro.
- Place about ½ cup of chicken in the center of a tortilla; next add a heaping tablespoon of the tomato mixture, and then add about 3 tablespoons of shredded cheese. To make an envelope for the filling, first fold over the sides, and then roll the burrito up and secure it with a toothpick, and place it in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings. You should have 10-12 burritos depending on how you stuff them.
- Bake the burritos for 10-14 minutes until they're heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Serve them warm from the oven, with cilantro or chopped scallions sprinkled on top, if you like.
Keywords: Chicken burritos, easy bbq chicken burritos, easy chicken burritos
[This post was first published on November 6, 2012. It was refreshed and updated on Jan 16, 2022 with added details to the written post, including serving suggestions; added nutritional information; and a name change. These used to be called "BBQ Chicken Enchiladas" and they are now (more correctly) called BBQ Chicken "burritos."]