A winning mix of a few simple ingredients makes these BBQ Chicken Burritos a favorite easy weeknight dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds) or substitute 5 cups of shredded poached chicken or leftover cooked chicken.
- 3/4 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce - something sweet & spicy is best
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (About 3 medium tomatoes)
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 medium-sized onion)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (about half a bunch)
- 12 (9-inch) flour tortillas
- 12 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
- chopped scallions
- chopped cilantro
- extra bbq sauce
Equipment: A large rectangular baking dish or casserole, toothpicks
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken breasts and cook, undisturbed for 7 minutes on one side. Turn and cook on the other side about 7-8 minutes more (or until chicken is no longer pink when you cut into the thickest part). Transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred it. (or skip this step and use 5 cups of poached chicken or leftover cooked chicken)
- In a mixing bowl, toss the shredded chicken with the BBQ sauce and set it aside.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, onion and cilantro.
- Place about 1/2 cup of chicken in the center of a tortilla; next add a heaping tablespoon of the tomato mixture, and then add about 3 tablespoons of shredded cheese. To make an envelope for the filling, first fold over the sides, and then roll the burrito up and secure it with a toothpick, and place it in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings. You should have 10-12 burritos depending on how you stuff them.
- Bake the burritos for 10-14 minutes until they're heated through and the cheese is melted.
- Serve them warm from the oven, with cilantro or chopped scallions sprinkled on top, if you like.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Tex-mex
Keywords: Chicken burritos, easy bbq chicken burritos, easy chicken burritos