This creamy delicious Venezuelan avocado chicken salad gets is creaminess from mashed avocados and it’s vibrant latin flavors from lime juice, garlic and cilantro. A fantastic chicken salad recipe without mayo and dairy-free.
This avocado chicken salad recipe was originally designed to be the stuffing for a beloved Venezuelan dish called ‘reina pepiada: Venezuelan arepas with chicken avocado salad. Arepas are gluten-free corn cakes, eaten in Venezuela instead of bread.
I learned the arepas recipe from my Venezuelan friend Sonia. Though I adore this chicken salad sandwiched between delicious corn cakes, warm from the oven, I also find myself making the avocado chicken salad on its own often. I love to scoop onto a simple salad for lunch or to roll up in a wrap or make a a sandwich out of it.
It’s great to have a delicious healthy chicken salad recipe in the repertoire.
Let’s make Venezuelan Avocado Chicken Salad!
This recipe takes less than a half hour to throw together. It’s especially easy if you use left over chicken.
- In a large bowl mash the the flesh of two ripe avocados with the lime juice.
- Add the rest of the ingredients: shredded chicken, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, and garlic.
- Season the chicken salad with salt and pepper, to taste. Done!
Over the years I’ve adapted Sonia’s recipe just a bit. The original recipe had mayonnaise in addition to avocados. I discovered that if I have perfectly ripe avocados to mash up for the dressing, mayo isn’t necessary.
Avocados have all the creaminess of mayo and they add a wonderful sweet and nutty avocado flavor to the mix. Plus avocados are highly nutritious, rich in vitamins, potassium and heart-healthy monounsaturated fat.
This chicken salad is super flavorful. Just scoop it onto a simple, lightly-dressed green salad and you’ll have a fantastic lunch.
You can adjust the amount of tanginess and heat by adding more lime juice and jalapeño.
I’ve discovered many wonderful chicken salad recipes from all around the globe. Here are a few of my favorites: This is the best Curried Chicken Salad I know and it’s of British origin; Salpicão: Brazilian Chicken Salad is a great brunch dish with loads of flavor, or try this delicious healthy Asian Cabbage Salad with Grilled Chicken.
Here’s the recipe for Venezuelan Avocado Chicken Salad. I’m excited for you to try this one. If you do, I hope you’ll come back to leave a review and let me know how what you think.Print
Venezuelan Avocado Chicken Salad: No Mayo
Healthy creamy shredded chicken salad with vibrant flavors, made with avocado, vegetables and herbs, no mayo or dairy.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4-5 1x
- Category: Main Dish, Salad
- Method: Use cooked chicken or poach
- Cuisine: Venezuelan
- 2 ½ cups cooked shredded chicken breast or 1 pound of boneless chicken, poached. Here’s how to make perfect poached chicken)
- 2 perfectly ripe Haas avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice (or more to taste)
- ½ red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped (or more, to taste)
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic (2 medium cloves)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or to taste
- In a large bowl mash the avocado with the lime juice. Add the rest of the ingredients: chicken, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and store in the fridge until you’re ready to eat.
- It’s best to serve this the same day you make it. You can store it in the fridge overnight and It will still be delicious the next day, but it might lose some of its lovely green color.
Keywords: chicken avocado salad, no-mayo chicken salad with avocado, chicken salad with avocado dressing