A satisfying main course salad with beef, noodles, avocados, mango and delicious Thai flavors.
- 1 1/2 pounds of filet mignon or another good quality steak
For The Marinade
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced or press in a garlic press
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
For The Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha chili sauce
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced or pressed through a garlic press
- 4 tablespoons neutral flavored oil such as Canola
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
For The Salad
- 4 ounces Chinese egg noodles
- 4-5 cups thinly sliced napa cabbage (1/2 a cabbage)
- 2 generous handfuls of baby arugula
- 1/2 cup packed thai basil leaves or regular basil leaves, slivered or torn
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 ripe mango, pitted and sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions, white part plus 2 inches of green (1 bunch)
- 2 avocados, cut into bite sized piece (Cut the avocado at the last minute to avoid discoloration)
- 1 cup chopped peanuts
- To marinate the steak, In a bowl, whisk soy sauce (2 tablespoons), sesame oil (2 teaspoons), ginger (1 tablespoon), garlic (1 clove), and sugar (1 teaspoon). Add the steak and turn to coat. Marinate for 15-30 minutes at room temperature.
- To make the vinaigrette, In a small bowl, combine lime juice (1/3 cup), orange juice (4 tablespoons), fish sauce (2 tablespoons), sugar (2 tablespoons), Sriracha (2 teaspoons) and garlic (3 cloves). Pour oils in slowly, while whisking constantly.
- Cook the noddles per package instructions. Drain and toss with 2 teaspoons of the vinaigrette. Set them aside until cool.
- Sear the steak in a hot skillet (preferably cast iron) with a tiny bit of oil for 2-3 minutes per side, depending on how rare you like it. Slice it thinly and toss with 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette.
- Assemble the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl: cabbage, arugula, basil, cilantro, mint, tomatoes, mango, scallions and avocados. Add the noodles and remaining vinaigrette to the bowl. Toss to combine. Add steak. Toss again. Divide the salad among 5 plates. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Enjoy!
Prep Ahead Strategies:
- The vinaigrette can be made up to 24 hours ahead. Keep it in an airtight container in the fridge and bring to room temperature before using.
- The beef can be marinated, cooked and stored in the fridge overnight. Let it come to room temperature before using. Slice it, toss it with 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette and add it to the salad.
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.
- Prep Time: 50 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: Salad, lunch, dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Thai
Keywords: steak and noodle salad, Thai salad with steak and noodles, Hillstone/Houston's Thai Steak and Noodle Salad