Steak and Potatoes Stacks. Salt and pepper-crusted beef tenderloin layered with spicy roasted potatoes. These scrumptious little towers of steak and potatoes are a perfect main dish for a romantic dinner, or serve them as an elegant appetizer when you’re hosting a special dinner.
I wanted to create a “wow” dish – something fancy and extra special, a feast for the eyes and delicious beyond belief.
I came up with these steak and potatoes stacks: seared beef tenderloin layered with roasted spice-crusted potatoes, drizzled with truffle oil and sprinkled with chopped fresh tarragon.
This is a special occasion dish, not something you would whip up for family weeknight dinner. It’s made with premium ingredients and some of them are pricey (tenderloin & truffle oil).
When you’re looking for that special standout dish for a holiday party or for New Year’s Eve or Valentine’s Day, these steak and potatoes stacks have what it takes.
These stacks may be small but they pack big flavor, so a little goes a long way. One stack is the perfect size for one person as a very hearty appetizer. Two stacks make a great light dinner.
I love making these steak and potatoes stacks for Valentine’s Day. It’s a romantic recipe, especially when you pair it with a glass of good red wine or a fun red cocktail! An arugula salad with beets, goat cheese and champagne vinaigrette goes well on the side.
How to make steak and potatoes stacks
This recipe is cooked in three basic steps: roast the potatoes, sear the beef, assemble the stacks.
- Roast the Potatoes: Peel and slice the potatoes and toss them with olive oil and spices. Lay them on a parchment lined pan and bake in a 425ºF oven for 20-30 minutes, until tender and starting to brown.
- Sear the Steak: While the potatoes are roasting, slice the steak, crust it with salt and pepper, and sear it in a hot pan for a minute or two.
- Assemble the stacks: Layer three slices of potato with two slices of tenderloin for each stack. Drizzle the stacks with truffle oil, sprinkle with tarragon, and serve warm or at room temperature.
How To Make These Ahead of Time
You can prepare this dish up to three hours ahead.
- Cook and assemble the steak and potatoes stacks.
- Set them on a parchment-lined baking sheet tented with fool or covered loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate them.
- Take them out of the fridge and let them come to room temp for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove plastic or foil and heat the stacks in a 400º F oven for 5-10 minutes, until heated through.
- Transfer them to a platter or individual plates, finish with truffle oil and tarragon, and serve.
Other delicious recipes that are stacks:
Here’s the steak and potatoes stacks recipe. If you make these I hope you’ll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I’d love know what you think!Print
Steak and Potatoes Stacks
Salt and pepper-crusted beef tenderloin layered with spicy roasted potatoes. Perfect for a special occasion.
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 stacks 1x
- Category: Appetizer or Light Main Dish
- Method: Sauté and Roast
- Cuisine: American
- 5 medium yellow flesh potatoes such as Idaho® golds, 5-6 ounces each
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 ¼ pounds of beef tenderloin
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 teaspoons of truffle oil, optional but highly recommended
- A rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper (you may need a second pan, depending on the size of your potatoes)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Peel potatoes and cut a tiny slice cut off at each end, to flatten. Slice potatoes crosswise into ½-inch thick pieces (4-5 slices per potato) Count the number of potato slices you have figure out to slice the beef. Each stack has 3 slices of potato and 2 slices of beef.
- In a small bowl, combine garlic powder (1 teaspoon), onion powder (1 teaspoon), paprika (1 teaspoon), salt (½ teaspoon) and pepper (½ teaspoon). In a large bowl, toss potato slices with 3 tablespoons of oil. Sprinkle in the spice mix and toss, to coat. Arrange potatoes in a single layer on parchment-lined pan and bake for 20-30 minutes, until tender. Remove from the oven and tent with foil.
- Before slicing the beef, determine how many pieces you need. You want a 3:2 ratio of potatoes to beef. (For example: 8 stacks require 24 slices of potato and 16 pieces of steak) The steak should be about the same thickness as the potatoes so I suggest starting by using a very sharp knife to slice the tenderloin horizontally into ½ inch thick slices. Then cut it into however many smaller pieces you need.
- Sprinkle meat with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. In a large cast iron skillet or non-stick pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add half the steak pieces. Cook for 1 ½ – 2 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer to a plate and repeat with remaining steak.
- Assemble the stacks with the largest pieces of potato on the bottom, then the largest pieces of steak next, then the medium sized pieces of potato, then the smallest piece steak, and top with the smallest pieces of potato. Drizzle each stack with ¼ teaspoon of truffle oil, and top with a generous pinch of tarragon. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Make Ahead Instructions: Stacks can be assembled on a parchment-lined baking pan up to 3 hours ahead and kept covered with foil or plastic wrap in the fridge. Bring to room temperature and then heat in a 400º F oven for 5-10 minutes until heated through. Transfer to a platter or individual plates, finish with truffle oil and tarragon, and serve.
Keywords: stacks of beef tenderloin and roasted potatoes, steak and potatoes,