Red skin potatoes are boiled with their skins and then mashed with olive oil, scallions, salt and pepper. This healthy, minimalist, vegan Red Skin Mashed Potatoes recipe is quick and easy to make and is perfect for any occasion from a weeknight meal to fancy dinner party. The subtle sweet flavor and light texture of these red skin mashed potatoes is a pure delight.
I love everything about this dish. It's easy to prepare, totally delicious and much healthier and lighter than traditional mashed potatoes.
Better than Classic Mashed Potatoes
I often get pushback and even eye rolls when I say what I'm about to say but here goes: "mashed potatoes are just as good or better when made without milk, cream or butter." There, I said it and I mean it.
For years I've been making mashed potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper. Sometimes I make them with yellow potatoes and roasted garlic, but most often I make this recipe.
What makes these mashed potatoes so good?
- Red Skin Potatoes are the perfect type of potato for mashing with their skin. Their radiant, thin, nutritious skin gives these mashed potatoes a wonderful rustic texture.
- With no heavy, rich butter or dairy, you can actually taste the pure sweet flavor of the potatoes and the delicate spiciness of the scallions - light and delicious!
Perfect Red Skin Mashed Potatoes
Here's how to make the best creamy delicious vegan red skin mashed potatoes:
- Cut the potatoes into quarters and boil them in salty water until tender.
- Drain the potatoes, return them to their cooking pot and add chopped scallions, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roughly mash the potatoes, adding water to achieve your desired consistency. Stirring water into the potatoes after you've mashed them will make them creamy.
If you're putting the potatoes out on the buffet table in a serving bowl, save some of the dark green chopped scallion tops to use as a festive colorful garnish.
Serve these red skin mashed potatoes with this delicious easy Boeuf Bourguignon, this scrumptious Meatloaf, as a side dish for Thanksgiving, or with any meal that calls for a side dish of delicious comforting mashed potatoes.Print
Red Skin Mashed Potatoes (Vegan)
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 Servings 1x
The easiest and healthiest mashed potatoes recipe - you will be delighted with how delicious these are!
- 3 pounds red skinned potatoes (don't peel the skin off) cut into quarters (1 ½-inch pieces)
- ¼ cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 6 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced crosswise (reserve some of the chopped dark green scallion tops for a garnish)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (plus more for potato cooking water)
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Water, to thin the potatoes and make them creamy
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, add 2 teaspoons of salt, bring to a boil and cook until tender but not mushy (10 minutes to come to a boil - 15 minutes at a full boil).
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the cooking pot, drizzle with the olive oil, season with 2 teaspoons of salt and several grinds of black pepper, to taste. Roughly mash the potatoes using a fork or, better yet, a potato masher. Add the scallions and stir through with a fork. Add water, a few tablespoons at a time, stirring, until you are happy with the consistency.
- If the potatoes need warming before serving, stir them vigorously with a wooden spoon, over medium heat, for a minute or two, adding a little water if they seem dry, until hot.
- Serve warm and top with additional chopped scallion tops, if desired
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy two ingredient vegan mashed potatoes
Made these last night. Another "I can't believe something this simple can be this tasty!" recipe... Really good.
Hi David - I always have the same thought whenever I make this dish. I'm so glad you enjoyed. Thanks for letting me know 🙂
Jeff the Chef @ Make It Like a Man!
I love skin-on mashed. Thanks for the recipe!
You're welcome! I'm glad you're a fan! 🙂
YUM! These are the best mashed potatoes I have ever had!!! Fun and easy to make. Perfect for Thanksgiving... and any other day of the year as well. Thank you!
Thanks Jen - I'm so glad this recipe worked out so well for you!