The easiest and healthiest mashed potatoes recipe - you will be delighted with how delicious these are!
- 3 pounds red skinned potatoes (don't peel the skin off) cut into quarters (1 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 6 scallions (green onions), thinly sliced crosswise (reserve some of the chopped dark green scallion tops for a garnish)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (plus more for potato cooking water)
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Water, to thin the potatoes and make them creamy
- Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, add 2 teaspoons of salt, bring to a boil and cook until tender but not mushy (10 minutes to come to a boil - 15 minutes at a full boil).
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the cooking pot, drizzle with the olive oil, season with 2 teaspoons of salt and several grinds of black pepper, to taste. Roughly mash the potatoes using a fork or, better yet, a potato masher. Add the scallions and stir through with a fork. Add water, a few tablespoons at a time, stirring, until you are happy with the consistency.
- If the potatoes need warming before serving, stir them vigorously with a wooden spoon, over medium heat, for a minute or two, adding a little water if they seem dry, until hot.
- Serve warm and top with additional chopped scallion tops, if desired
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist.
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 25 min
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Boil
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: easy two ingredient vegan mashed potatoes