These Flourless Almond Cookies from Spain are almost too good to be true. They're gluten free, dairy free, and they take just 4 ingredients and 25 minutes to make. And they're totally delicious.
Cooking Light has a terrific cookbook called Global Kitchen. The book is filled with healthy and delicious recipes from all around the world - a book after my own heart! As I paged through, these flourless Spanish almond cookies caught my eye.
I have to admit that the first thing that attracted me to them was how healthy they are. There's no butter or flour - they're made mostly from almonds.
They bake up crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside, with a fresh nutty flavor and a hint of lemon.
Spain is one of the worlds largest almond producing countries and desserts made with almond flour are common.
Almond flour is simply blanched almonds, with the brown skin removed, that are finely ground.
Once you grind the almonds for 20 seconds or so, add the egg, sugar, lemon zest and salt, and pulse until you get a sticky dough.
These flourless almond cookies are also great if you happen to be eating gluten free, dairy free, or if you're looking for a sweet treat for Passover.
I hope you enjoy the cookies! For more delicious, lightened-up recipes from around the world, here's the link to Cooking Light Global Kitchen on Amazon.
For more delicious varieties of flourless almond cookies, check out my post: A Trio of Flourless Almond Cookies
Now here's the recipe for Flourless Almond Cookies from Spain. If you try this recipe I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and comment. I'd love to know what you think!Print
Flourless Almond Cookies from Spain
Delicious crunchy nutty almond cookies that are made mostly from healthy almonds. Naturally gluten free and dairy free.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 16 mins
- Total Time: 26 mins
- Yield: 24 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Spanish
- 2 cups blanched slivered almonds
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- Zest from 1 lemon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 24 roasted salted almonds to top cookies (or use any type of almond you like)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Put almonds in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the chopping blade. Process for 15-20 seconds or until they are finely ground. Add the sugar, egg, lemon and salt to the bowl of the food processor and pulse 20-25 times, until the mixture becomes sticky and holds together.
- Make 24 dough balls. Pull out about a tablespoon of dough at a time. Squeeze it and roll it. Spread balls out evenly on prepared baking sheet. Press a whole roasted almond down into each cookie. Bake in the center of the oven for 16 minutes. Cool cookies on pan for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Keywords: almond cookies, gluten free cookies