This recipe for Glazed Carrots comes from Sicily. Fresh carrots are first sautéed in garlicky olive oil, then braised and glazed in dry Marsala wine. The recipe is surprisingly simple and delicious.
This recipe comes from one of my favorite old cookbooks called Foods of Sicily and Sardinia and the Smaller Islands.
It takes less than a half hour to cook these delicious glazed carrots and they'd make a great side dish for the Thanksgiving table or any table.
HOW TO MAKE SICILIAN GLAZED CARROTS
This recipe is so wonderfully simple. All you need is a bunch of carrots, a few cloves of garlic, dry Marsala wine and parsley. I assume you already have olive oil salt and pepper in house.
- Sauté The Carrots In Garlicky Olive Oil: Simmer sliced garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes to flavor the oil. Remove the garlic from the pan, add the carrots and cook them for a few minutes in the garlicky oil.
- Braise and Glaze: Pour in the Marsala wine, partially cover the carrots and let them braise in the wine for 8 minutes. Then remove the cover and continue cooking them, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes longer, until most of the wine is absorbed and the carrots are crisp-tender and glazed.
- Garnish: Serve the carrots hot or warm with parsley sprinkled on top.
You can easily double this recipe for a crowd!
Here's the recipe for Sicilian glazed carrots. If you try this recipe I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think!Print
Sicilian Glazed Carrots: Cooked In Marsala Wine
Sliced carrots are cooked in garlic scented olive oil and Marsala wine for quick and delicious side dish.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 17 mins
- Total Time: 22 mins
- Yield: 5-6 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Skillet braise and glaze
- Cuisine: Sicilian
- 1 pound carrots, scraped and cut on the diagonal into ½ inch slices
- 1 cup dry Marsala wine
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves to garnish
- Warm 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in a large heavy skillet with a lid. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until the garlic is golden brown and has scented the oil. Remove garlic and discard or save for another use.
- Add the carrots to the pan. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and 6 or 7 grinds of black pepper (about ¼ teaspoon) Sauté carrots for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Add wine carefully because it will sputter. Partially cover the carrots - leaving just a little room for steam to escape. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the cover and cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes longer, until most of the wine is absorbed and just a bit of oil remains in the pan and the carrots are crisp-tender and glazed.
- Serve the carrots hot or warm with parsley sprinkled on top.
Want to Double This Recipe? If you double the amount of carrots, use 5 tablespoons olive oil, 3 garlic cloves, and 1 ½ cups of Marsala wine.
Keywords: glazed carrots, carrots cooked in wine, Marsala glazed carrots, Sicilian carrots