Sliced carrots are cooked in garlic scented olive oil and Marsala wine for quick and delicious side dish.
- 1 pound carrots, scraped and cut on the diagonal into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 cup dry Marsala wine
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled and cut in half
- Kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves to garnish
- Warm 4 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat in a large heavy skillet with a lid. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until the garlic is golden brown and has scented the oil. Remove garlic and discard or save for another use.
- Add the carrots to the pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 6 or 7 grinds of black pepper (about 1/4 teaspoon) Sauté carrots for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Add wine carefully because it will sputter. Partially cover the carrots - leaving just a little room for steam to escape. Cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the cover and cook, stirring frequently, for 3-4 minutes longer, until most of the wine is absorbed and just a bit of oil remains in the pan and the carrots are crisp-tender and glazed.
- Serve the carrots hot or warm with parsley sprinkled on top.
Want to Double This Recipe? If you double the amount of carrots, use 5 tablespoons olive oil, 3 garlic cloves, and 1 ½ cups of Marsala wine.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 17 mins
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Skillet braise and glaze
- Cuisine: Sicilian
Keywords: glazed carrots, carrots cooked in wine, Marsala glazed carrots, Sicilian carrots