Delicious Easy Roasted Eggplant Dip! Just pop a whole eggplant in the oven to roast and you’ve done most of the prep for this recipe. With just 3 ingredients plus a simple oil and vinegar dressing, you’ll be amazed by the incredible flavors in this dish!
This eggplant dip is a great way to enjoy juicy ripe summer tomatoes and fresh seasonal eggplant. It’s addictively delicious and a cinch to make.
When you’re having company over, set out a big bowl of roasted eggplant dip, surrounded by toasted pita points. It will disappear fast!
You might have had a similar appetizer called eggplant caviar. Mine is a rustic version of eggplant caviar, with similar ingredients but not pureed. I love rustic food – simple and unfussy, fresh, healthy, homey and delicious.
I looked up “rustic” to find the true meaning. Here’s my favorite definition: “Having a simplicity and charm that is considered typical of the countryside.” That pretty much says it all.
In this eggplant appetizer, you can appreciate each of the simple, fresh vegetables – roasted eggplant, ripe tomatoes, and sliced red onion. The dressing is just oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
Just a few simple fresh ingredients with a perfect harmony of flavors.
HOW TO MAKE ROASTED EGGPLANT DIP
Pierce the eggplant all over with a fork and roast it for 45 minutes in a 400ºF oven.
Remove the eggplant from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes.
When it’s cool enough to handle, cut off the root end, slice the eggplant in half lengthwise, and peel it. The skin will come off easily.
Chop the eggplant flex and put it in a big bowl with the other ingredients: sliced tomato, sliced red onions, and dressing. Toss well to combine.
Serve roasted eggplant dip at room temperature, with bread, crackers, pita or crostini.
I usually serve it scooped onto toasted pita triangles.
Here’s the recipe for Roasted Eggplant Dip. If you make this, please come back to leave a comment and a star rating. I’d love to know how you like it!Print
Roasted Eggplant Dip
Delicious, fresh, eggplant dip. Serve with pita, crackers or tortilla chips
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: oven
- Cuisine: Out of this World
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 medium sized eggplant (1 pound)
- 1 ripe tomato, cored, halved, and sliced thin
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- To Serve
- Pita bread, cut into triangles.
- Dressing Whisk oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper until emulsified. Set aside.
- Roast the Eggplant Preheat oven to 400ºF. Pierce the eggplant several times with a fork. place it on a jellyroll pan and bake it for 45 minutes in the center of the oven until it is cooked through and the skin is wrinkly. Transfer the eggplant to a work surface and cool for 10 minutes. Slice eggplant in half lengthwise and peel off the skin. Chop the flesh roughly and transfer to a bowl. Add the tomato, onion, and dressing. Toss gently to combine.
- Serve with pita triangles or tortilla chips.
Keywords: eggplant caviar, roasted eggplant dip