This recipe is adapted from a recipe in Gourmet Magazine for roasted cauliflower with kalamata vinaigrette that I’ve been making and tweaking over the years. I ultimately wanted more variety of roasted veggies. Roasted cauliflower has a sweet nutty flavor. The potatoes roast up buttery on the inside, with crisp caramelized bits on the edges. The roasted chickpeas have a wonderful contrasting texture to the cauliflower and potatoes – part crisp, part chewy, and super delicious. I added fresh cumin seeds to the mix. They get toasted in the oven with the veggies and add an incredible kick of flavor.
This is a totally delicious side dish. It works with chicken, fish, any kind of roast. It’s also hearty enough to serve as a vegetarian main course.
This post is part of the second annual week-long #PotatoPalooza with my friends Maggie over at omnivorescookbook.com and Elizabeth at bowlofdelicious.com and sponsored by The Idaho Potato Commission. All this week we’ll be posting delicious potato recipes so be sure to follow along!
Here’s the recipe for Roasted Cauliflower, Potatoes and Chickpeas. If you try this recipe I hope you’ll come back to leave a comment and a rating. I’d love to know what you think
Roasted Cauliflower, Potatoes and Chickpeas with Kalamata Olive Vinaigrette
Roasted Cauliflower, Potatoes and Chickpeas tossed in a vibrant olive-lemon vinaigrette. Serve as a side dish or vegetarian main. [gluten-free recipe]
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 6-8
- Category: Side Dish or Vegan Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- For The Vegetables:
- 1 small head of cauliflower cut into bite-sized florets
- 1½ pounds of yukon gold or yellow flesh Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the vinaigrette
- 2½ teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- For The Vinaigrette:
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large clove of garlic, pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Optional Garnishes:
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 425ºF for convection or 450ºF for conventional.
- In a large bowl toss cauliflower florets, potatoes and chickpeas with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Spread the mixture out in large non-stick low-sided baking pan or one lined with foil. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until the cauliflower and potatoes are tender and are starting to brown.
- Make the Vinaigrette: While the vegetables are roasting, whisk olives, oil, lemon juice, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- In a large bowl toss the vegetables and chickpeas with half the vinaigrette. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter. Drizzled the rest of the vinaigrette over the top. Garnish with chopped parsley, if you like. Serve warm or at room temperature.