Oven Roasted Veggies are the BEST!
My oven is on all fall and winter long, roasting veggies. There's very little effort involved - just some chopping and a quick toss with olive oil and salt. The oven does the rest.
Oven roasted cauliflower gets crisp and browned on the edges and has a sweet nutty flavor. Potatoes roast up buttery on the inside, with crisp caramelized bits on the edges. Roasted chickpeas are part crisp, part chewy, savory and delicious.
For this recipe, I tossed the veggies and chickpeas with cumin seeds before roasting. The cumin gets toasted in the oven, adding a rich, fragrant, nutty flavor to the dish.
This dish is adapted from a roasted cauliflower recipe in Gourmet Magazine that I've been making and tweaking for years. It's a wonderful recipe but I ultimately wanted a greater variety of roasted veggies in the mix.
This is a totally delicious side dish that pairs well with roast chicken, fish, beef or pork.
If you want to add a little flourish, sprinkle the final dish with chopped parsley or thyme leaves.
Here's the recipe for Roasted Cauliflower, Potatoes and Chickpeas. If you try this recipe I hope you'll come back to leave a comment and a star rating. I'd love to know what you think!
Roasted Cauliflower, Potatoes and Chickpeas with Kalamata Olive Vinaigrette
Roasted Cauliflower, Potatoes and Chickpeas tossed in a vibrant olive-lemon vinaigrette. Serve as a side dish or vegetarian main. [gluten-free recipe]
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Side Dish or Vegan Main Dish
- Method: Roast
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
- For The Vegetables:
- 1 small head of cauliflower cut into bite-sized florets
- 1½ pounds of yukon gold or yellow flesh Idaho® potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the vinaigrette
- 2½ teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- For The Vinaigrette:
- ⅓ cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 large clove of garlic, pressed
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Optional Garnishes:
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Preheat oven to 425ºF for convection or 450ºF for conventional.
- In a large bowl toss cauliflower florets, potatoes and chickpeas with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Spread the mixture out in large non-stick low-sided baking pan or one lined with foil. Roast for 25-30 minutes or until the cauliflower and potatoes are tender and are starting to brown.
- Make the Vinaigrette: While the vegetables are roasting, whisk olives, oil, lemon juice, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- In a large bowl toss the vegetables and chickpeas with half the vinaigrette. Transfer to a serving bowl or platter. Drizzled the rest of the vinaigrette over the top. Garnish with chopped parsley, if you like. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Keywords: oven roasted cauliflower, potatoes and chickpeas, roasted vegetables side dish, roasted cauliflower recipe with potatoes, chickpeas and olive lemon vinaigrette