This Curried Butternut Squash, lentil and Chicken Stew is a warm and comforting one-pot dinner that comes together fast. It's low-fat, dairy-free, gluten-free and absolutely delicious!
With fall in full swing, it's a fine time for a soul-warming butternut squash stew. I developed this recipe in a flash of inspiration. It usually takes me days and sometimes weeks to develop a recipe. But it was five o'clock on Friday night and I suddenly knew what I wanted for dinner.
I was craving a satisfying (but healthy) stew with shredded chicken and butternut squash. I wanted creaminess without cream or fat. Red lentils were the answer.
I love how red lentils melt into soups and stews and make them thick and creamy. By 7:30pm I had been to the grocery store and back, and Eddie and I were digging into bowls of delicious curried butternut squash, lentil and chicken stew.
TIPS FOR QUICK AND DELICIOUS CHICKEN STEW
This is a great chicken stew for weeknights because it takes only 15 minutes to prep. Just sauté garlic, ginger and onions, add squash cubes and curry powder and simmer for a few minutes. Add red lentils and broth and simmer for 25 minutes. Stir in shredded chicken, lime juice and cilantro and dinner is ready!
- Look for butternut squash at the store that's already peeled. If you can find it already cubed, even better.
- Use leftover chicken or buy a rotisserie chicken so all you have to do is shred the breast meat and toss it in the pot.
- If you can't find cooked chicken, buy one pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts and follow this easy recipe for how to make perfect poached chicken. You'll have plenty of time to poach and shred the chicken while the squash is simmering.
Serve the chicken stew in bowls topped with chopped cilantro. Yum!
- Make it a soup: If you're in the mood for soup rather than stew, add 2 additional cups of chicken broth.
- Amp up the veggies: For a dose of healthy greens, add a few handfuls of chopped spinach or kale to the pot in the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
Here's the recipe for Curried Butternut Squash, Lentil, and Chicken Stew. I love hearing from you and knowing how you're enjoying the recipes here on Panning The Globe. If you make this recipe, I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and a comment to let me know what you think.Print