Judging from personal experience, these Peppadew Peppers are likely to elicit a sudden smile of delight and surprise from your guests. Someone will probably say something like: “Wow, what are these?” I can pretty much guarantee that this appetizer won’t go unnoticed. The taste is something new – still a red pepper, but with an amazing depth of flavor that is hard to describe, but I’ll try: sweet, spicy, pickled, peppery. That’s the best I can do. You really have to try them for yourself.
Tuna dip has been a long-time favorite of mine, but I only recently discovered pairing it with these peppers. Tuna and peppadew peppers are a perfect match.
The recipe comes from a fantastic cookbook called “Urban Italian.” For variety I like to serve a small bowl of tuna dip with crackers and cornichons alongside the tuna-stuffed peppers.Print
TUNA-STUFFED PEPPADEW PEPPERS
An appetizer of sweet and spicy Peppadew peppers stuffed with tuna
- Prep Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 10-12 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 6-ounce cans Italian tuna in oil, drained (a strainer over the sink works well)
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts, cut into fourths
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons juice from the Peppadew peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or more, to taste
- 1 14-ounce jar of “mild” Peppadew peppers
- MAKE THE TUNA DIP: Put all of the ingredients, except the peppers, into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse several times until you’re happy with the consistency. If you don’t have a food processor, finely chop the scallions and mash all ingredients together with a fork. Add more salt, if desired.
- STUFF THE PEPPERS: The peppers have a small hole. Be prepared to get your fingers messy. Use a tiny spoon or knife and your fingers to stuff the peppers. You will have enough tuna to stuff the whole jar of peppers (there are about 25 per jar) and still have a small bowl of tuna for spreading on crackers or dipping crudités. Enjoy!