My favorite egg salad recipe is light on the mayo, brightened up with mustard, herbs, flaky seat salt, pepper and chopped fresh herbs. Dill, chives or scallions are all delicious options here, depending on your taste or what you have on hand.
It's good to have an egg salad recipe that you can rely on. When you're wondering what to serve for lunch or brunch, egg salad is always a good choice and you're likely to have all the ingredients in house to make it. This egg salad recipe is simple yet special enough that when I serve it, people always remark on how delicious it is.
How to make great egg salad
The key to making excellent egg salad is starting with perfect hard boiled eggs - not always easy to do. But fear not, I've spent years researching how to best make hard boiled eggs and I have a fantastic technique that works every time. The egg whites are tender, the yolks are cooked through but not chalky, and the shells peel off easily.
How to make perfect hard boiled eggs for egg salad
- Place eggs in a saucepan and cover with cold water by an inch
- Bring water to a boil over medium heat.
- As soon as the water boils, cover the pot, remove it from the heat, and leave the eggs soaking in the hot water for 12 minutes.
- Cool the eggs in cold running water to stop the cooking process. Let the eggs soak in cold water for ten minutes and then peel them under running water or submerged in the pot, to rinse the shells away as you go.
Now the easy part - Making Egg Salad!
- Place the eggs in a bowl and use a potato masher or a fork to chop them finely. Alternatively, a few pulses in the food processor will do the trick.
- Mix in the rest of the ingredients: mayo, mustard, salt, pepper and herbs.
That's all there is to it. Now you've got a delicious egg salad that balances rich eggs and mayo with spicy mustard and fresh herbs.
When there's egg salad in the house.....
- Toast up some bread and get ready for an amazing egg salad sandwich
- Add pickled red onions for some delicious vinegary crunch
- Try egg salad on a toasted bagel with smoked salmon, for breakfast
- Serve egg salad with crackers or cucumber rounds, as an appetizer
- Make mini egg salad tea sandwiches for an afternoon tea party
By the way, If you love egg salad, you might also want to try Eggs Mimosa: French-style deviled eggs with tuna.
Here's my favorite egg salad recipe. If you try this recipe I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think!Print