ARUGULA PESTO WITH PISTACHIOS AND LEMON
Ingredients for Arugula Pesto
Here's what you need to make arugula pesto - these 6 main ingredients plus salt, to taste.
- Arugula - I love using boxed or bagged organic baby arugula because It's triple washed and ready to go. This recipe calls for 7 ounces of arugula which is 1 ½ of those bags or boxes.
- Fresh Lemon Juice - Fresh squeezed is always best but if you want to save time and used bottled lemon juice, my favorite is Santa Cruz Organic Pure Lemon Juice.
- Garlic - Garlic is classic pesto ingredient. No need to finely mince the garlic here. A rough chop will do, as you will be pureeing it in the food processor.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - A good amount of olive oil is needed to give the pesto its creamy consistency. Try to avoid using an intensely flavored olive oil. You want to allow the flavor of the arugula to shine through.
- Toasted Pistachio Nuts - Toasting raw pistachios is easy, but it's even easier if you don't have to. I've used these shelled roasted pistachio nuts and they work really well. If you find roasted pistachios that are salted, simply cut back a bit on the salt in the recipe.
- Grated Parmesan Cheese - Good quality parmesan is important when you're making pesto. Parmigiana Reggiano is my favorite.
HOW TO MAKE ARUGULA PESTO
Here's an overview of how to do it. Find the full instructions in the recipe card below.
- Start by pulsing the toasted pistachios, garlic and salt in the food processor, until they are finely chopped.
- Next add the arugula and pulse into a smooth paste.
- Then, with the motor of the food processor running, add the lemon juice and olive oil.
- Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and stir in the parmesan cheese.
You made arugula pesto!
THE EASIEST PESTO
Here's the arugula pesto recipe. If you make this I hope you'll come back to leave a star rating and a comment. I'd love to know what you think!Print
This flavor-packed arugula pesto, made with toasted pistachios and lemon juice, is perfect as a sauce for spaghetti, capellini or any type of pasta.
This recipe makes enough pesto for saucing 1 pound of pasta.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 0 min
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Sauce/Dip
- Method: no cook
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (2 large cloves)
- ⅓ cup shelled, unsalted pistachios, lightly toasted in a dry skillet, cooled (or store bought roasted pistachios - see notes)
- 1 teaspoons kosher salt
- 7 ounces baby arugula
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice plus more, to taste
- ½ - ⅔ cup extra virgin olive oil, more or less depending on the desired consistency
- 2 ounces (¾ cup or so) finely grated good quality parmesan cheese such as Parmigiana Reggiano.
- Put the garlic, toasted pistachios and salt in the bowl of your food processor, fitted with the steel chopping blade. Pulse for 10 seconds or so to a fine chop.
- Add one third of the arugula and pulse to a rough paste. Repeat twice more with remaining arugula, until everything is combined into a paste.
- Add the lemon juice and pulse for a few seconds, to combine. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil. Add additional olive oil for a thinner, creamier pesto sauce.
- Scrape the pesto into a bowl and stir in the parmesan cheese. Use immediately or store in the fridge in a covered container for up to three days.
Using store-bought roasted pistachios - if you can only find 'salted' roasted pistachios, cut back on the salt in the recipe by ¼ teaspoon.
How to make pasta with arugula pesto: Cook a pound of pasta in salted water. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water and then drain the pasta and put it back into the pot. Add the pesto and toss the pasta to coat, over medium-low heat, adding pasta cooking water, a tablespoon at a time, until you get your desired consistency. Season with salt, to taste. Serve hot. Pass around extra parmesan cheese.
Nutrition Information: The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and is not a substitute for the advice of a professional nutritionist. Pasta is not included in this nutrition calculation.
Keywords: pesto made from arugula, lemon juice and pistachios