If you love chicken salad, you’re going to go crazy for this one. My Venezuelan friend Sonia shared her recipe with me. Shredded chicken is mixed with avocado, lime juice, jalapeño, bell pepper, white onion, garlic and cilantro. There’s no mayonnaise so it’s super healthy, paleo, dairy-free, and bursting with vibrant Latin flavors.
This avocado chicken salad recipe is actually designed to be the stuffing for a beloved Venezuelan dish called ‘reina pepiada: Venezuelan arepas with chicken avocado salad.
I learned the arepas recipe from Sonia a few year ago. Though I adore this chicken salad sandwiched between delicious corn cakes, warm from the oven, I also find myself making the avocado chicken salad on its own, to scoop onto a salad or to roll up in a wrap or on a sandwich. It’s great to have a delicious healthy chicken salad recipe in the repertoire.
Over the years I’ve adapted Sonia’s recipe just a bit. The original recipe had mayonnaise in addition to avocados. I discovered that if I have perfectly ripe avocados to mash up for the dressing, the mayo isn’t necessary. Avocados have all the creaminess of mayo and they add a wonderful sweet and nutty avocado flavor to the mix.
Feel free to amp up the lime juice and jalapeño to adjust the amount of tanginess and heat to your tastes. This chicken salad is super flavorful so just scoop it onto a simple, lightly-dressed green salad and you’ll have a fantastic lunch. This chicken salad is so creamy and delicious you might forget how healthy it is.
More delicious chicken salad recipes
Here’s the recipe for Venezuelan Avocado Chicken Salad. I’m excited for you to try this one. If you do, I hope you’ll come back to leave a review and let me know how what you think.
- 2½ cups cooked shredded chicken breast or 1 pound of boneless chicken, poached. Here's how to make perfect poached chicken)
- 2 perfectly ripe Haas avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice (or more to taste)
- ½ red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, diced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped (or more, to taste)
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic (2 medium cloves)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or to taste
- In a large bowl mash the avocado with the lime juice. Add the rest of the ingredients: chicken, bell pepper, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and store in the fridge until you're ready to eat.
- It's best to serve this the same day you make it. You can store it in the fridge overnight and It will still be delicious the next day, but it might lose some of its lovely green color.