School is back in session here in Newton, Massachusetts. The streets are crowded again. So is the grocery store. Everyone is back in town. I’m not quite in gear yet – I’m still sipping my coffee slowly, and only getting through a leisurely half cup before there’s some call to action: can you please make me a smoothie?, have you seen my black belt?, can you drive me to school early? Even the dog is up extra early, giving me that “I’m ready for my walk” look.
It’s time to get on the ball, me! The emails are piling up: picture day, back-to-school night, PTO dues….I’ll spare you the rest of my long list.
No time to experiment in the kitchen this week. Luckily I have this great recipe up my sleeve that’s quick, easy, healthy and delicious: Raw Kale Salad with Honey Lemon and Parmesan Dressing. My friend Renee brought it to a potluck dinner a few years ago. I loved it and was even more thrilled to learn that it was made from healthy raw kale!
Dark green Dinosaur Kale is perfect for a salad – it’s much more tender than curly kale. The leaves are shredded and tossed with a honey, lemon, parmesan, shallot dressing. It comes together in just 15 minutes. I hope you love it as much as I do! Wishing you a smooth transition into the busy Fall season.
Kale is one of the healthiest foods you can eat. If you want more kale in your diet, here are 23 healthy and delicious kale recipes from Cooking light . Enjoy!
- 1 large bunch Tuscan kale, washed, thick stems removed (about a pound) note: Tuscan Kale is the darker, less curly kale, also known as Dinosaur kale or Lacinato Kale.
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup good quality finely grated parmesan cheese (I recommend Parmigiano-Reggiano)
- Slice the Kale: Stack about ⅓ of the kale leaves at a time into a pile and slice thinly into ¼-inch shreds. Repeat with the rest of the kale. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Make the Dressing and Toss the Salad: In a small bowl, combine shallot, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper; whisk in oil in a slow stream. Pour dressing over kale and toss. Sprinkle parmesan on and and toss again.