This post is sponsored by The Idaho Potato Commission. Opinions are my own, as always. Thank you for supporting the sponsors who support Panning The Globe.
This recipe for savory potato aebleskivers is new and different and not from Denmark. This recipe comes from the new cookbook “Smashed, Mashed, Boiled and Baked – And Fried Too!: A Celebration of Potatoes in 75 Irresistible Recipes,” by James Beard award-winning chef Raghavan Iyer.
Fellow potato enthusiasts, you will love this book! It has so many creative and tempting spud-centric recipes: soups, salads, gratins, stews, and even delicious potato desserts! I was given two copies of the book, one for me and one to give away. At the end of this post I’ll tell you how to enter the giveaway. First, I want to tell you more about savory potato aebleskivers and show you how to make them.
Here’s how To Make Savory Potato Aebleskivers:
Now for the Cookbook giveaway:
Follow the rules of the Rafflecopter giveaway below, to enter to win a copy of RAGHAVAN IYER’S COOKBOOK: “SMASHED, MASHED, BOILED AND BAKED.” Scroll down for the Savory Potato Aebleskivers Recipe!
- 1 cup red lentils (also known as Egyptian lentils; see Tater Tip)
- 2 fresh green Serrano chiles, stems discarded
- 4 slices fresh ginger (each about the size and thickness of a quarter; no need to peel first)
- 8 ounces Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh thyme leaves and tender stems
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea or
- kosher salt
- Canola oil, for pan-frying
- For The Creamy Lemon Dipping Sauce:
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup low-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic or 1 garlic clove, pressed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons snipped chives, optional
- Pour the lentils into a medium-size bowl. Cover them with cold water. Agitate them with your fingertips to rinse off any surface dust. Drain off this water. Repeat once or twice more. Cover the lentils with warm water and allow them to soak for about 1 hour. Drain the lentils in a colander.
- Pour ½ cup of warm water into a blender jar followed by the lentils, chiles, and ginger. Puree to a smooth light-pink batter speckled with green and brown from the chiles and ginger, scraping the inside of the jar as needed. Scrape this into the bowl you soaked the lentils in.
- Scrub the potatoes under running water. Shred them through the large holes of a box grater, the fine teeth of a mandoline, or the shredding disk of a food processor. As soon as you finish shredding them, add them to the lentil batter along with the onion, thyme, cilantro, and salt. Vigorously beat the batter in a circular motion with a wooden spoon to incorporate some air (which makes the batter lighter), about 2 minutes.
- Line a large plate with several layers of paper towels, for draining the cooked aebleskivers of excess oil.
- Preheat an aebleskiver pan (see Tater Tips) over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, pour 1 teaspoon of oil into each of its indentations. Using 2 teaspoons (the tableware kind—one to scoop, the other to slide it out), spoon a heaping teaspoon of batter into each hole. As the batter cooks and turns reddish brown on the underside, 2 to 4 minutes, use a skewer to loosen it and flip it over. Brown the flipped side as well, 2 to 4 minutes. Tease out the spherical aebleskivers onto the paper towels to drain.Repeat with the remaining batter. Serve warm.
- Creamy Lemon Dipping Sauce: Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and serve. Can be stored, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- TATER TIPS Any kitchen store (online or retail) will be able to fill your aebleskiver pan order. Usually available in cast iron, this pan normally has seven indentations. Modern ones now come preseasoned, so working with them cannot be any easier. You can also make aebleskivers in a mini muffin pan. Oil each muffin cup,
- place the pan in a preheated 400°F oven for 3 minutes to get hot, add a heaping tablespoon of batter, and bake until browned on the underside and ready to be flipped, 2 to 4 minutes. Brown the flipped side for 2 to 4 minutes, remove, and drain the aebleskivers. Enjoy.
- Aebleskivers are ideally consumed right away, as their crispness dissipates as they sit. But you can rewarm them in a 250°F oven on a wire rack over a cookie sheet for about 10 minutes.