A lightened up, slow-cooker version of Brazil's famous meat and bean stew.
- 1 pound dried black beans, picked over and soaked over night per package instructions
- 6 ounces applewood-smoked bacon (I highly recommend healthier uncured, no-nitrite bacon)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 or 4 bone-in beef short ribs or other meaty beef or pork ribs, trimmed of fat
- 1 (9-ounce) smoked ham hock or 9 ounces smoked pork sausages such as Linguica
- 3 cups finely chopped onion (about 2 medium onions)
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced (about 3 1/2 tablespoons minced)
- 2-4 cups low-salt chicken broth, as needed (I recommend Swanson's)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- Suggested Accompaniments:
- 2 navel oranges, cut into wedges
- Chopped fresh cilantro leaves, from 1 small bunch
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Serve with steamed white rice
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble and add to a 6-quart electric slow-cooker. (don't wash skillet, you'll use it to brown the meats)
- Sprinkle pork evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Increase heat to medium-high. Add pork to drippings in skillet; sauté 8 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. (If there's too much liquid accumulating and the meat isn't browning, tilt the skillet and spoon some of the fat out) Transfer pork to slow cooker. Season the ribs evenly with 1/8 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Add ribs to skillet; cook for 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Place ribs in slow cooker. Add drained beans, ham hock, onions, garlic, 2 cups chicken broth, 1 teaspoon salt, coriander, bay leaves and vinegar to slow cooker, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on LOW 8-9 hours or until beans and meat are tender.
- Pull out ribs and ham hock bones. Remove any remaining meat from the bones and shred it with two forks. Discard bones. Return meat to slow cooker. Add more broth for a soupier consistency.
- Serve Feijoada with rice. Sprinkle generously with green onions and cilantro. Serve with orange wedges to squeeze on top.
MAKE AHEAD NOTE: If you're planning to make this in the morning before work, you'll need to soak the beans the night before. Also, it's best if you brown the meats the night before and keep them in the fridge over night. Then in the morning you can chop up the onions and garlic and throw everything into the slow cooker.
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker, Crock Pot
- Cuisine: Brazilian
Keywords: Meat and black bean stew, Brazilian meat and bean stew, Slow cooker meat and bean stew, crockpot meat and bean stew