Quick, easy, healthy recipe for fish poached with fresh vegetables and tomatoes.
- For this recipe you'll need a large skillet with a lid
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh fish fillets, such as snapper, sea bass, Branzino or Orata, cut into 4 portions.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove, slightly smashed and peeled (see how to smash garlic here)
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 3 celery stalks, washed, ends trimmed, cut into matchsticks or chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 or 3 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks or chopped (1 1/2 cups
- 1 pint of ripe cherry tomatoes, washed and cut into quarters (10-11 ounces)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a large skillet over medium heat for a minute or so, until the garlic starts to sizzle a bit. Add the carrots, celery and onions. Sauté, stirring, for 2 minutes or so, until the vegetables start to soften (regulate the heat so they don't brown)
- Add the cherry tomatoes and cook, stirring, for a minute or so, to heat the tomatoes. Add the fish, tucking it down into the vegetables. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring the liquid to a simmer. Cover and cook over medium low heat (gentle simmer) for 10 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through and the vegetables are softened. Stir in half the parsley.
- Divide fish, veggies and broth among 4 shallow bowls. Season with black pepper, to taste. Serve right away, while hot, with additional chopped parsley sprinkled on top.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Lunch or Dinner
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: poached fish, fish poached with vegetables, Italian fish recipe